Mar 24, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
It’s way too early to say that the Nashville Predators will make or break their season (and their opponents’ seasons) in the next two games, but each one of those contests sport a “steel cage match in Wrestlemania” feel.
While winning both games in regulation won’t guarantee the Predators a playoff berth, earning success against the Anaheim Ducks tonight and the Dallas Stars on Saturday would absolutely go a long way in helping them get the job done. In a matter of three days, Nashville could earn a nice cushion or be in some serious trouble in the Western Conference playoff race.
Tonight’s game is a should-win for the Predators because the Ducks are coming off a dramatic and emotional win against the Stars in Dallas last night. Neither one of those teams are just going to roll over for Nashville, but with home ice advantage on their side, the Predators would deeply regret letting these opportunities slip through their fingers.
After all, the Predators might hold a lead over the Ducks and Stars, but they have some disadvantages going for them as well. Let’s take a look at the West bubble, via NBC’s standings.
So the Predators have the most points (88), but one less game remaining than the Ducks and Stars. The Ducks lead the pack with wins (41) so they likely would earn a tie-breaker if things trend the same way.
Again, it’s incorrect to boil this race down to those two games, even for the Predators. They will enjoy a very friendly closing schedule, with six of their last eight at home.
Still, there aren’t many contests left and this might be their best chance to “control their destiny” by actually playing against the two clubs most likely to foil their plans. It should be intriguing to watch and we’ll keep you up to date on how it all plays out.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)