Mar 24, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
If you were hoping that Washington Capitals stars Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin and other injured players would skate during the team’s small Canadian tour this weekend, then you’re out of luck. But if you’re a Caps fan hoping that your team might be close to 100 percent once playoff time rolls around, your chances are quite a bit better.
Yesterday, we discussed the wisdom of the Capitals’ decision to rest Ovechkin; the latest update from Katie Carrera is that he’s expected to return in five to seven days. Carrera reports that both Oveckin and fellow injured forward Jason Arnott skated today as well, with Ovechkin apparently wearing knee pads under his warm-up gear.
Most of Washington’s injuries tend to be of the short-term variety like Ovechkin’s (and to a lesser extent, Arnott’s, as he is week-to-week), with the notable exception of Green’s concussion problems. Bruce Boudreau told Carrera that the team should know by Monday whether or not he can return by the regular season. Boudreau added that the team wants to see him complete at least three good practices before he can play in a game.
The team’s injury situations are up in the air at the moment, but the only player whose playoff future seems to be in serious doubt is Green’s. We’ll keep you informed as the Caps attempt to ramp up their playoff success this coming summer.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)