Mar 24, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
If you were hoping that Washington Capitals stars Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin and other injured players would skate during the team’s small Canadian tour this weekend, then you’re out of luck. But if you’re a Caps fan hoping that your team might be close to 100 percent once playoff time rolls around, your chances are quite a bit better.
Yesterday, we discussed the wisdom of the Capitals’ decision to rest Ovechkin; the latest update from Katie Carrera is that he’s expected to return in five to seven days. Carrera reports that both Oveckin and fellow injured forward Jason Arnott skated today as well, with Ovechkin apparently wearing knee pads under his warm-up gear.
Most of Washington’s injuries tend to be of the short-term variety like Ovechkin’s (and to a lesser extent, Arnott’s, as he is week-to-week), with the notable exception of Green’s concussion problems. Bruce Boudreau told Carrera that the team should know by Monday whether or not he can return by the regular season. Boudreau added that the team wants to see him complete at least three good practices before he can play in a game.
The team’s injury situations are up in the air at the moment, but the only player whose playoff future seems to be in serious doubt is Green’s. We’ll keep you informed as the Caps attempt to ramp up their playoff success this coming summer.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)