Mar 24, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
If you were hoping that Washington Capitals stars Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin and other injured players would skate during the team’s small Canadian tour this weekend, then you’re out of luck. But if you’re a Caps fan hoping that your team might be close to 100 percent once playoff time rolls around, your chances are quite a bit better.
Yesterday, we discussed the wisdom of the Capitals’ decision to rest Ovechkin; the latest update from Katie Carrera is that he’s expected to return in five to seven days. Carrera reports that both Oveckin and fellow injured forward Jason Arnott skated today as well, with Ovechkin apparently wearing knee pads under his warm-up gear.
Most of Washington’s injuries tend to be of the short-term variety like Ovechkin’s (and to a lesser extent, Arnott’s, as he is week-to-week), with the notable exception of Green’s concussion problems. Bruce Boudreau told Carrera that the team should know by Monday whether or not he can return by the regular season. Boudreau added that the team wants to see him complete at least three good practices before he can play in a game.
The team’s injury situations are up in the air at the moment, but the only player whose playoff future seems to be in serious doubt is Green’s. We’ll keep you informed as the Caps attempt to ramp up their playoff success this coming summer.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)