Mar 24, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
If you were hoping that Washington Capitals stars Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin and other injured players would skate during the team’s small Canadian tour this weekend, then you’re out of luck. But if you’re a Caps fan hoping that your team might be close to 100 percent once playoff time rolls around, your chances are quite a bit better.
Yesterday, we discussed the wisdom of the Capitals’ decision to rest Ovechkin; the latest update from Katie Carrera is that he’s expected to return in five to seven days. Carrera reports that both Oveckin and fellow injured forward Jason Arnott skated today as well, with Ovechkin apparently wearing knee pads under his warm-up gear.
Most of Washington’s injuries tend to be of the short-term variety like Ovechkin’s (and to a lesser extent, Arnott’s, as he is week-to-week), with the notable exception of Green’s concussion problems. Bruce Boudreau told Carrera that the team should know by Monday whether or not he can return by the regular season. Boudreau added that the team wants to see him complete at least three good practices before he can play in a game.
The team’s injury situations are up in the air at the moment, but the only player whose playoff future seems to be in serious doubt is Green’s. We’ll keep you informed as the Caps attempt to ramp up their playoff success this coming summer.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)