Mar 23, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
It might be time for the Detroit Red Wings to start worrying. The return of Chris Osgood to the backup role in Detroit is going to be delayed indefinitely as Osgood’s groin isn’t healthy enough to play yet. In fact, it’s so bad off that Osgood is going back on the IR and Joey MacDonald is making his needed return to back up Jimmy Howard.
With Osgood back on IR, his status for the playoffs is in doubt and while he’s not the starter, his ability to give Howard a break when needed down the stretch would’ve been helpful to get him ready for the playoffs. Instead, Howard will have to shoulder the load enough to at least make sure Detroit wins the Central Division. Competing with Vancouver for the top spot in the West might become a foregone conclusion if Detroit loses to the Canucks tonight. It’ll be made even tougher playing without Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, and Todd Bertuzzi. At least they’ll have Jiri Hudler back in the lineup after he missed the last few games with the flu.
Still, the effect this has on Howard is the key since Howard won’t be getting any breaks once the playoffs start. Making things look a little rougher is the fact Howard hasn’t exactly been lights out of late. He hasn’t been bad but he hasn’t looked like a guy that’s going to steal a game or series. If Joey MacDonald has to be the Wings safety net, Jimmy Howard will have to become a folk hero in goal.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)