Mar 22, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If you judge a goalie only by Goals Against Average (GAA), then you’re making a big mistake. Sure, it might be a bit better way to judge a goalie than by wins (and a whole world better than shutouts), but sometimes a netminder performs wonderfully despite allowing a handful of goals.
Brent Johnson let four pucks get past him, which sounds like a bad night, but the Pittsburgh Penguins goalie made 37 saves and didn’t allow a shootout goal either. He made some nice stops, but this one takes the cake. Johnson’s stop was a game-saver and it came on a well-executed 2-on-1 by the Detroit Red Wings. It also gets bonus points for being about as close as possible to becoming a goal without ending up over the goal line.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)