Mar 22, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If you judge a goalie only by Goals Against Average (GAA), then you’re making a big mistake. Sure, it might be a bit better way to judge a goalie than by wins (and a whole world better than shutouts), but sometimes a netminder performs wonderfully despite allowing a handful of goals.
Brent Johnson let four pucks get past him, which sounds like a bad night, but the Pittsburgh Penguins goalie made 37 saves and didn’t allow a shootout goal either. He made some nice stops, but this one takes the cake. Johnson’s stop was a game-saver and it came on a well-executed 2-on-1 by the Detroit Red Wings. It also gets bonus points for being about as close as possible to becoming a goal without ending up over the goal line.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 0
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)