Mar 22, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If you judge a goalie only by Goals Against Average (GAA), then you’re making a big mistake. Sure, it might be a bit better way to judge a goalie than by wins (and a whole world better than shutouts), but sometimes a netminder performs wonderfully despite allowing a handful of goals.
Brent Johnson let four pucks get past him, which sounds like a bad night, but the Pittsburgh Penguins goalie made 37 saves and didn’t allow a shootout goal either. He made some nice stops, but this one takes the cake. Johnson’s stop was a game-saver and it came on a well-executed 2-on-1 by the Detroit Red Wings. It also gets bonus points for being about as close as possible to becoming a goal without ending up over the goal line.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)