Mar 21, 2011, 3:08 AM EDT
P.K Subban had his first career hat trick as the Canadiens emphatically put to rest any shot at the playoffs the Wild may have had left. Subban is the first Canadiens rookie defenseman to get a hat trick in the team’s long history. Subban finished the game with four points as the Habs ran the Wild out of their own building. Alex Auld stopped 30 shots for Montreal in earning the win while David Desharnais and former Wild prospect Benoit Pouliot also added three assists a piece. Montreal forward Ryan White also added a Gordie Howe Hat Trick. Yeah, it was just that kind of game.
Jose Theodore gave up five goals in taking the loss while Niklas Backstrom fared no better allowing three goals in 13 shots. Don’t look now but the Canadiens are just one point behind Boston in the Northeast Division. Luckily for the Bruins, they’ve got two games in hand. The Wild are now seven points out of the eighth seed in the ultra competitive West. Say goodnight Minnesota.
Anaheim 5 – Calgary 4 (F/OT)
Martin Brodeur earned his 115th career shutout and his fifth of the season while David Clarkson scored two goals to lead the Devils past the Blue Jackets. Nick Palmieri also added a goal for the Devils as they keep their dream of the postseason alive. The Devils sit seven points out of the eighth spot with ten games to play. New Jersey’s biggest opponent right now aside from the schedule is mathematics. They don’t have much room for error left if they hope to get into the playoffs and with the number of three point games that have been happening of late, it puts them in a much tougher spot.
Nashville 4 – Buffalo 3 (F/OT)
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39