Mar 21, 2011, 3:08 AM EDT
P.K Subban had his first career hat trick as the Canadiens emphatically put to rest any shot at the playoffs the Wild may have had left. Subban is the first Canadiens rookie defenseman to get a hat trick in the team’s long history. Subban finished the game with four points as the Habs ran the Wild out of their own building. Alex Auld stopped 30 shots for Montreal in earning the win while David Desharnais and former Wild prospect Benoit Pouliot also added three assists a piece. Montreal forward Ryan White also added a Gordie Howe Hat Trick. Yeah, it was just that kind of game.
Jose Theodore gave up five goals in taking the loss while Niklas Backstrom fared no better allowing three goals in 13 shots. Don’t look now but the Canadiens are just one point behind Boston in the Northeast Division. Luckily for the Bruins, they’ve got two games in hand. The Wild are now seven points out of the eighth seed in the ultra competitive West. Say goodnight Minnesota.
Anaheim 5 – Calgary 4 (F/OT)
Martin Brodeur earned his 115th career shutout and his fifth of the season while David Clarkson scored two goals to lead the Devils past the Blue Jackets. Nick Palmieri also added a goal for the Devils as they keep their dream of the postseason alive. The Devils sit seven points out of the eighth spot with ten games to play. New Jersey’s biggest opponent right now aside from the schedule is mathematics. They don’t have much room for error left if they hope to get into the playoffs and with the number of three point games that have been happening of late, it puts them in a much tougher spot.
Nashville 4 – Buffalo 3 (F/OT)
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)