Mar 21, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
One of the factors that makes the Washington Capitals’ return to elite status so impressive is that they keep winning despite some significant injuries. The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera provided some updates regarding the team’s injury problems – beyond the brief absence of superstar Alex Ovechkin – today.
First things first, Carrera shares word from “multiple sources” that newly acquired center Jason Arnott is dealing with a groin injury. Arnott apparently skated for 10 minutes today, but reportedly skated “gingerly.”
Secondly, Mike Green is eligible to return by March 22nd, but coach Bruce Boudreau indicated that there is no timetable for him to come back.
Finally, in less renowned player news, defenseman John Erskine is expected to play against the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday while Eric Fehr is questionable for that contest. On the bright side, Boudreau said Fehr should be back “in the next three games.”
Washington is playing some great hockey lately, but surely they must hope to be close to 100 percent by the playoffs. That looks like a solid bet for most players, but one must wonder about Green with his concussion problems. We’ll keep you updated as the team approaches another playoff run in 2011.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)