Mar 21, 2011, 9:20 PM EST
One of the factors that makes the Washington Capitals’ return to elite status so impressive is that they keep winning despite some significant injuries. The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera provided some updates regarding the team’s injury problems – beyond the brief absence of superstar Alex Ovechkin – today.
First things first, Carrera shares word from “multiple sources” that newly acquired center Jason Arnott is dealing with a groin injury. Arnott apparently skated for 10 minutes today, but reportedly skated “gingerly.”
Secondly, Mike Green is eligible to return by March 22nd, but coach Bruce Boudreau indicated that there is no timetable for him to come back.
Finally, in less renowned player news, defenseman John Erskine is expected to play against the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday while Eric Fehr is questionable for that contest. On the bright side, Boudreau said Fehr should be back “in the next three games.”
Washington is playing some great hockey lately, but surely they must hope to be close to 100 percent by the playoffs. That looks like a solid bet for most players, but one must wonder about Green with his concussion problems. We’ll keep you updated as the team approaches another playoff run in 2011.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)