Mar 21, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
One of the factors that makes the Washington Capitals’ return to elite status so impressive is that they keep winning despite some significant injuries. The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera provided some updates regarding the team’s injury problems – beyond the brief absence of superstar Alex Ovechkin – today.
First things first, Carrera shares word from “multiple sources” that newly acquired center Jason Arnott is dealing with a groin injury. Arnott apparently skated for 10 minutes today, but reportedly skated “gingerly.”
Secondly, Mike Green is eligible to return by March 22nd, but coach Bruce Boudreau indicated that there is no timetable for him to come back.
Finally, in less renowned player news, defenseman John Erskine is expected to play against the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday while Eric Fehr is questionable for that contest. On the bright side, Boudreau said Fehr should be back “in the next three games.”
Washington is playing some great hockey lately, but surely they must hope to be close to 100 percent by the playoffs. That looks like a solid bet for most players, but one must wonder about Green with his concussion problems. We’ll keep you updated as the team approaches another playoff run in 2011.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 0
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)