Mar 20, 2011, 10:57 AM EDT
Perhaps you can break this morning’s New York Rangers personnel news into “Good, bad and ugly” categories (updates according to Steve Zipay).
Bad: Workhorse defenseman Marc Staal, however, will not be able to play. While his injury is undisclosed, Zipay indicates that the problem might be a damaged knee, rather than an eye problem.
Ugly: Finally, Zipay reports that Sean Avery will be a healthy scratch once again. Avery’s pest act can be very “feast or famine,” so perhaps head coach John Tortorella thinks he’s been leaning toward famine too much lately.
The Rangers have a lot riding on this afternoon’s NBC Game of the Week against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 12:30 pm ET. It’s expected to be a matchup between Lundqvist and Marc-Andre Fleury in the nets today, so while both teams might be a few strides short of 100 percent, at least the goaltending should be at or near full-strength.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic