Mar 20, 2011, 10:57 AM EDT
Perhaps you can break this morning’s New York Rangers personnel news into “Good, bad and ugly” categories (updates according to Steve Zipay).
Bad: Workhorse defenseman Marc Staal, however, will not be able to play. While his injury is undisclosed, Zipay indicates that the problem might be a damaged knee, rather than an eye problem.
Ugly: Finally, Zipay reports that Sean Avery will be a healthy scratch once again. Avery’s pest act can be very “feast or famine,” so perhaps head coach John Tortorella thinks he’s been leaning toward famine too much lately.
The Rangers have a lot riding on this afternoon’s NBC Game of the Week against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 12:30 pm ET. It’s expected to be a matchup between Lundqvist and Marc-Andre Fleury in the nets today, so while both teams might be a few strides short of 100 percent, at least the goaltending should be at or near full-strength.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)