Mar 20, 2011, 10:57 AM EDT
Perhaps you can break this morning’s New York Rangers personnel news into “Good, bad and ugly” categories (updates according to Steve Zipay).
Bad: Workhorse defenseman Marc Staal, however, will not be able to play. While his injury is undisclosed, Zipay indicates that the problem might be a damaged knee, rather than an eye problem.
Ugly: Finally, Zipay reports that Sean Avery will be a healthy scratch once again. Avery’s pest act can be very “feast or famine,” so perhaps head coach John Tortorella thinks he’s been leaning toward famine too much lately.
The Rangers have a lot riding on this afternoon’s NBC Game of the Week against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 12:30 pm ET. It’s expected to be a matchup between Lundqvist and Marc-Andre Fleury in the nets today, so while both teams might be a few strides short of 100 percent, at least the goaltending should be at or near full-strength.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5