Mar 20, 2011, 1:27 PM EST
The Staal family factored into this 1-1 tie, as Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal scored a nice breakaway goal against the New York Rangers based slightly on the fact that his brother Marc isn’t playing this afternoon. Rather than likely having their top defenseman on the ice, Steve Eminger and Dan Girardi were hung out to dry for the Rangers during Pittsburgh’s tying goal.
In some ways, the Penguins looked like the more desperate team at home during the first period. Henrik Lundqvist was tested early and often, stopping nine out of 10 shots (he didn’t really have much of a chance to stop that Staal goal). Overall, the Penguins had 21 shot attempts, showing that they were throwing a lot of pucks toward the Rangers’ net – even if many of them were absorbed by Rangers skaters. Meanwhile, Marc-Andre Fleury made six out of seven saves, allowing Artem Anisimov to score his 18th goal of the 2010-11 season.
The Rangers will have an abbreviated power play to begin the second period, so perhaps they can get an early second period lead to win an important game. We’ll keep you updated during this NBC Game of the Week.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 1
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)