Mar 20, 2011, 1:27 PM EST
The Staal family factored into this 1-1 tie, as Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal scored a nice breakaway goal against the New York Rangers based slightly on the fact that his brother Marc isn’t playing this afternoon. Rather than likely having their top defenseman on the ice, Steve Eminger and Dan Girardi were hung out to dry for the Rangers during Pittsburgh’s tying goal.
In some ways, the Penguins looked like the more desperate team at home during the first period. Henrik Lundqvist was tested early and often, stopping nine out of 10 shots (he didn’t really have much of a chance to stop that Staal goal). Overall, the Penguins had 21 shot attempts, showing that they were throwing a lot of pucks toward the Rangers’ net – even if many of them were absorbed by Rangers skaters. Meanwhile, Marc-Andre Fleury made six out of seven saves, allowing Artem Anisimov to score his 18th goal of the 2010-11 season.
The Rangers will have an abbreviated power play to begin the second period, so perhaps they can get an early second period lead to win an important game. We’ll keep you updated during this NBC Game of the Week.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)