Mar 20, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
The Staal family factored into this 1-1 tie, as Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal scored a nice breakaway goal against the New York Rangers based slightly on the fact that his brother Marc isn’t playing this afternoon. Rather than likely having their top defenseman on the ice, Steve Eminger and Dan Girardi were hung out to dry for the Rangers during Pittsburgh’s tying goal.
In some ways, the Penguins looked like the more desperate team at home during the first period. Henrik Lundqvist was tested early and often, stopping nine out of 10 shots (he didn’t really have much of a chance to stop that Staal goal). Overall, the Penguins had 21 shot attempts, showing that they were throwing a lot of pucks toward the Rangers’ net – even if many of them were absorbed by Rangers skaters. Meanwhile, Marc-Andre Fleury made six out of seven saves, allowing Artem Anisimov to score his 18th goal of the 2010-11 season.
The Rangers will have an abbreviated power play to begin the second period, so perhaps they can get an early second period lead to win an important game. We’ll keep you updated during this NBC Game of the Week.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks