Mar 19, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Al Montoya wasn’t the busiest goaltender on Friday night, but he certainly made the few saves count. Carolina’s stop line of Cory Stillman, Eric Staal and Erik Cole worked magic on a beautiful passing play to open up the Islanders defense. Cole had the (relatively) new Isles netminder dead-to-rights, but Montoya was able to stone the Canes veteran with a strong leg pad. At the time, the huge save helped preserve a precarious 1-goal lead against the desperate Hurricanes—a lead they’d eventually surrender late in the 3rd period. But that doesn’t change the fact that this particular save was a beaut.
Congrats Mr. Montoya: at least one Islander won something on Friday.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)