Mar 19, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Al Montoya wasn’t the busiest goaltender on Friday night, but he certainly made the few saves count. Carolina’s stop line of Cory Stillman, Eric Staal and Erik Cole worked magic on a beautiful passing play to open up the Islanders defense. Cole had the (relatively) new Isles netminder dead-to-rights, but Montoya was able to stone the Canes veteran with a strong leg pad. At the time, the huge save helped preserve a precarious 1-goal lead against the desperate Hurricanes—a lead they’d eventually surrender late in the 3rd period. But that doesn’t change the fact that this particular save was a beaut.
Congrats Mr. Montoya: at least one Islander won something on Friday.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 22
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 24
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 11
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 74
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)