Mar 19, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Al Montoya wasn’t the busiest goaltender on Friday night, but he certainly made the few saves count. Carolina’s stop line of Cory Stillman, Eric Staal and Erik Cole worked magic on a beautiful passing play to open up the Islanders defense. Cole had the (relatively) new Isles netminder dead-to-rights, but Montoya was able to stone the Canes veteran with a strong leg pad. At the time, the huge save helped preserve a precarious 1-goal lead against the desperate Hurricanes—a lead they’d eventually surrender late in the 3rd period. But that doesn’t change the fact that this particular save was a beaut.
Congrats Mr. Montoya: at least one Islander won something on Friday.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)