Mar 18, 2011, 4:12 PM EDT
In case you were wondering, Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier won’t face any discipline after getting thrown out of last night’s game against the Montreal Canadiens for a slash on P.K. Subban.
To give you a quick refresher, Lecavalier and Subban repeatedly exchanged shoves that eventually escalated to a couple slashes from Subban followed by a big two-handed number by Lecavalier. On first impact it looked like a brutal blow, but upon further review it actually ended up being one of the “better” acting jobs by a Canadiens player since then Habs-forward Mike Ribeiro drew a penalty by writhing on the ice.
Damian Cristodero caught up with Lecavalier, getting his thoughts on the situation with Subban. In the fine tradition of Sean Avery and other pests, it seems like Subban’s antics aren’t making him many friends.
Asked if he believed Subban milked it for the refs, Lecavalier said easily, “Oh, of course.”
On Friday morning, Lecavalier commented further on Subban:
“Everybody knows he was playing a role there. Myself and probably most of the guys don’t respect a guy like that. He’s the type of guy who doesn’t respect anybody. It’s all there is to say. He’s not a well-liked guy, not because of the way he plays but because of the way he does things. He’s a great player. He will be for a long time. But his attitude, that’s just the way he is.”
I used to call Avery the “Bart Simpson” of the NHL, but Subban might be a better fit for that role. Then again, Subban’s act worked – for better or worse – in that Lecavalier lost his cool and was thrown out of the game. In the end, both come away looking a bit silly, but at least neither player ended up injured.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)