Mar 18, 2011, 4:12 PM EST
In case you were wondering, Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier won’t face any discipline after getting thrown out of last night’s game against the Montreal Canadiens for a slash on P.K. Subban.
To give you a quick refresher, Lecavalier and Subban repeatedly exchanged shoves that eventually escalated to a couple slashes from Subban followed by a big two-handed number by Lecavalier. On first impact it looked like a brutal blow, but upon further review it actually ended up being one of the “better” acting jobs by a Canadiens player since then Habs-forward Mike Ribeiro drew a penalty by writhing on the ice.
Damian Cristodero caught up with Lecavalier, getting his thoughts on the situation with Subban. In the fine tradition of Sean Avery and other pests, it seems like Subban’s antics aren’t making him many friends.
Asked if he believed Subban milked it for the refs, Lecavalier said easily, “Oh, of course.”
On Friday morning, Lecavalier commented further on Subban:
“Everybody knows he was playing a role there. Myself and probably most of the guys don’t respect a guy like that. He’s the type of guy who doesn’t respect anybody. It’s all there is to say. He’s not a well-liked guy, not because of the way he plays but because of the way he does things. He’s a great player. He will be for a long time. But his attitude, that’s just the way he is.”
I used to call Avery the “Bart Simpson” of the NHL, but Subban might be a better fit for that role. Then again, Subban’s act worked – for better or worse – in that Lecavalier lost his cool and was thrown out of the game. In the end, both come away looking a bit silly, but at least neither player ended up injured.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)