Mar 18, 2011, 2:33 AM EDT
To read about the happenings in the Eastern Conference playoff bubble, click here. For recaps of six other games, check out this story. Finally, let’s take a look at the two contests that ended past most peoples’ green beer drinking nightcaps.
The Wild are spiraling out of the playoff race, having gone 2-6-1 in their last nine games including another tough one-goal loss to an elite Western team. This time, it was the San Jose Sharks, as Minnesota lost four games in a row during regulation.
Niklas Backstrom was fantastic in defeat, making 47 stops as the Wild fought hard even though they came up short. According to the AP report, two of the Sharks’ three goals went off of his own teammates. He managed to help Minnesota earn a 1-1 tie in the second period despite the fact that San Jose out-shot them 21-9. Antti Niemi faced 20 less shots by going 28 for 30 in his 28th win of the season.
Matt D’Agostini is quietly on a hot streak right now, having scored three goals and two assists in his last five games. That counts the Blues’ first two goals tonight, which obviously includes the game winner thanks to a relatively uneventful 17-save shutout.
The Kings are still at fifth place with 85 points, but their comfort zone just about dried up.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 8
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (50)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)