Mar 18, 2011, 2:33 AM EDT
To read about the happenings in the Eastern Conference playoff bubble, click here. For recaps of six other games, check out this story. Finally, let’s take a look at the two contests that ended past most peoples’ green beer drinking nightcaps.
The Wild are spiraling out of the playoff race, having gone 2-6-1 in their last nine games including another tough one-goal loss to an elite Western team. This time, it was the San Jose Sharks, as Minnesota lost four games in a row during regulation.
Niklas Backstrom was fantastic in defeat, making 47 stops as the Wild fought hard even though they came up short. According to the AP report, two of the Sharks’ three goals went off of his own teammates. He managed to help Minnesota earn a 1-1 tie in the second period despite the fact that San Jose out-shot them 21-9. Antti Niemi faced 20 less shots by going 28 for 30 in his 28th win of the season.
Matt D’Agostini is quietly on a hot streak right now, having scored three goals and two assists in his last five games. That counts the Blues’ first two goals tonight, which obviously includes the game winner thanks to a relatively uneventful 17-save shutout.
The Kings are still at fifth place with 85 points, but their comfort zone just about dried up.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)