Mar 18, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings might have gained two points during their 2-0 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets last night, but it looked like it might have come at the cost of two important players. Both Pavel Datsyuk and Brian Rafalski were banged up during that game, but Helene St. James reports that both players only have minor injuries.
St. James reports that Rafalski is expected to play against the Nashville Predators on Saturday while Datsyuk is day-to-day, meaning that game is a toss-up for the Russian forward. Rafalski tweaked his knee during the third period while Datsyuk suffered a lower-body injury from a Rick Nash hit along the boards during the second, according to St. James.
Jiri Hudler is one player who will miss that game, though, as flu symptoms will sideline him until Monday’s game against the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
It’s tough not to worry a bit about Detroit’s age these days – especially when you consider the kind of mileage players such as Datsyuk have accrued from all the lengthy playoff runs – but the Red Wings are still an elite team in the West. Especially with Rafalski and Datsyuk remaining healthy.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 17
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)