Mar 18, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings might have gained two points during their 2-0 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets last night, but it looked like it might have come at the cost of two important players. Both Pavel Datsyuk and Brian Rafalski were banged up during that game, but Helene St. James reports that both players only have minor injuries.
St. James reports that Rafalski is expected to play against the Nashville Predators on Saturday while Datsyuk is day-to-day, meaning that game is a toss-up for the Russian forward. Rafalski tweaked his knee during the third period while Datsyuk suffered a lower-body injury from a Rick Nash hit along the boards during the second, according to St. James.
Jiri Hudler is one player who will miss that game, though, as flu symptoms will sideline him until Monday’s game against the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
It’s tough not to worry a bit about Detroit’s age these days – especially when you consider the kind of mileage players such as Datsyuk have accrued from all the lengthy playoff runs – but the Red Wings are still an elite team in the West. Especially with Rafalski and Datsyuk remaining healthy.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)