Mar 18, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings might have gained two points during their 2-0 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets last night, but it looked like it might have come at the cost of two important players. Both Pavel Datsyuk and Brian Rafalski were banged up during that game, but Helene St. James reports that both players only have minor injuries.
St. James reports that Rafalski is expected to play against the Nashville Predators on Saturday while Datsyuk is day-to-day, meaning that game is a toss-up for the Russian forward. Rafalski tweaked his knee during the third period while Datsyuk suffered a lower-body injury from a Rick Nash hit along the boards during the second, according to St. James.
Jiri Hudler is one player who will miss that game, though, as flu symptoms will sideline him until Monday’s game against the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
It’s tough not to worry a bit about Detroit’s age these days – especially when you consider the kind of mileage players such as Datsyuk have accrued from all the lengthy playoff runs – but the Red Wings are still an elite team in the West. Especially with Rafalski and Datsyuk remaining healthy.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)