Mar 18, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings might have gained two points during their 2-0 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets last night, but it looked like it might have come at the cost of two important players. Both Pavel Datsyuk and Brian Rafalski were banged up during that game, but Helene St. James reports that both players only have minor injuries.
St. James reports that Rafalski is expected to play against the Nashville Predators on Saturday while Datsyuk is day-to-day, meaning that game is a toss-up for the Russian forward. Rafalski tweaked his knee during the third period while Datsyuk suffered a lower-body injury from a Rick Nash hit along the boards during the second, according to St. James.
Jiri Hudler is one player who will miss that game, though, as flu symptoms will sideline him until Monday’s game against the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
It’s tough not to worry a bit about Detroit’s age these days – especially when you consider the kind of mileage players such as Datsyuk have accrued from all the lengthy playoff runs – but the Red Wings are still an elite team in the West. Especially with Rafalski and Datsyuk remaining healthy.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 3
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)