Mar 18, 2011, 2:26 PM EST
On a week in which NHL GMs were discussing how to police hits to the head, the league is still dealing with a lot of uncertainty related to suspensions and fines.
That doesn’t necessarily mean that Mike Murphy made the wrong choice when he decided to fine, but not suspend Patric Hornqvist for his hot on Tyler Seguin. The Nashville Predators forward will pay a $2,500 fine for that elbow on Seguin.
This isn’t the first time that a disciplinary hearing resulted in no suspension, as Zdeno Chara went through the same procedure without a suspension or a fine after speaking with Murphy. (Quick aside: considering the fact that Colin Campbell’s right hand man hasn’t been very prone to handing out suspensions lately, does this mean that Campbell is the warm and cuddly one?)
For his part, Seguin didn’t really blow the whistle on Hornqvist. He did, however, have an amusing anecdote after the hit (via TSN).
Seguin suffered damage to his ear lobe but returned to the game after having stitches to repair the injury.
“I came in the room and (the doctor) just said, ‘Nice ear lobe, it’s kind of falling off,’?” Seguin told the Boston Herald. “And I said, ‘Oh, that’s pretty cool.’?”
One thing that wasn’t really addressed during the GM meetings is the need for greater transparency when it comes to the decision making process. It’s not necessarily that the league makes the right or wrong choices, it’s just that there’s no clear logic to any of these decisions. Sometimes it seems like Murphy and Campbell just play pin the tail on the punishment donkey.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)