Mar 18, 2011, 12:51 PM EST
Last night’s 3-1 loss to the Ottawa Senators was a tough one for the New Jersey Devils to take, especially because they must turn around and face the Washington Capitals in Newark tonight. They’ll have to beat a closer-to-full-strength Capitals squad, too, as Nicklas Backstrom will be back in the lineup for the first time since March 7th, according to Mike Vogel.
Backstrom has missed five games with a fractured thumb. According to his lofty standards, he’s had a slow 2010-11 season, with only 55 points in 67 games after his career-best 101 points in 82 games last season.
The Capitals have been playing well amid a variety of injuries, as they went on a nine-game winning streak before Wednesday’s 3-2 loss to the Detroit Red Wings. Washington can clinch a playoff berth if they beat the Devils and the Carolina Hurricanes lose in regulation tonight. Of course, this game is much bigger for New Jersey, who cannot afford many more losses at this point.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)