Mar 18, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
When I had the chance to see the Los Angeles Kings play the Dallas Stars early this season, Jonathan Quick put on one of the best goaltending displays I’ve seen in person. Quick’s credibility should not be denied, even if he has his low moments.
Of course, when you read a paragraph like that, you’re probably waiting for “Yeah, but …” So here it goes. Quick and the Kings had an awful night against the St. Louis Blues on Thursday. When your coach calls out fans for booing the home team, it’s a sign that you probably didn’t experience an outstanding night.
If you want one clip to capture how low things went for the Kings, watch this half-ice humiliation of a goal in which Alex Pietrangelo beat Quick from right inside the red line. Forgive the sarcastic Goal of the Night, but this was a rare moment – especially for a very good goalie like Quick.
Now, just in case you want a “serious” goal while you drink your coffee/pretend to send your resume to employers, NHL.com was sweet enough to collect all 54 of Thursday’s goals in one video. Enjoy.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 0
- In praise of John Tavares 9
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 17
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36