Mar 17, 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
It’s Thursday and that means the NHL announced which game will be NBC’s Game of the Week. On April 3 at 12:30 p.m. ET it’ll be the New York Rangers heading to Philadelphia to take on the Flyers in their house. The Flyers will have revenge on their mind as when these two last met up on NBC’s Game of the Week on March 6, the Rangers schooled them by a 7-0 final. Ryan Callahan scored four goals and had an assist to lead the way for the Rangers while Henrik Lundqvist earned a stress-free shutout.
With the game coming in the second to last weekend of the season, expect the stress to be high on both teams as the Flyers with captain Mike Richards and fellow forwards Jeff Carter and Daniel Briere hope to still be on top of the Eastern Conference and the Atlantic Division. The Rangers will be hoping that Marian Gaborik and Marc Staal can help them hang on to a spot in the playoffs so they can avoid running into the same problem they had at the end of last season when they lost in a shootout on the final day of the season to the Flyers. That loss knocked the Rangers out of the playoffs and the Flyers into the postseason where they went on to make the Stanley Cup final.
With these two teams facing off once again on NBC, it makes for the right way to tune up for the playoffs having these two hated rivals battling it out in the waning days of the regular season.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 7
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)