Mar 17, 2011, 7:42 PM EDT
At this point, if you’ve been following suspension rulings during this season, you should know the drill. Player A nails Player B with a check that is clearly against the rules, although it’s nothing out of the ordinary in a league in which this stuff happens all the time. Player B expresses outrage that may or may not seem hypocritical considering his own checkered past. Finally, Player A expresses disbelief regarding the penalty or controversy regarding said hit.
Not only did Heatley tell assembled media members that he didn’t think he caught Ott in the head (he said that he believes he caught Ott’s shoulder), he also became the latest professional hockey player to opt for the “pot calling the kettle black” route. CSN California’s Brodie Brazil has the story, including this quote.
Heatley on Ott: “I’m not going to get into a war of words with him. He’s had his fair share of suspensions in the league so for him, all of a sudden to have a halo on his head is kinda funny”
As I mentioned before, it seems like a lot of hockey people are citing hypocrisy, sometimes to deflect the obvious wrongs they have committed. The bottom line is that Heatley deserved a suspension for the hit – many think that he should have gotten at least another game, especially with the GM meetings focusing on questionable hits – so the Kindergarten-grade “He started it” excuse isn’t going to fly.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)