Mar 17, 2011, 7:42 PM EST
At this point, if you’ve been following suspension rulings during this season, you should know the drill. Player A nails Player B with a check that is clearly against the rules, although it’s nothing out of the ordinary in a league in which this stuff happens all the time. Player B expresses outrage that may or may not seem hypocritical considering his own checkered past. Finally, Player A expresses disbelief regarding the penalty or controversy regarding said hit.
Not only did Heatley tell assembled media members that he didn’t think he caught Ott in the head (he said that he believes he caught Ott’s shoulder), he also became the latest professional hockey player to opt for the “pot calling the kettle black” route. CSN California’s Brodie Brazil has the story, including this quote.
Heatley on Ott: “I’m not going to get into a war of words with him. He’s had his fair share of suspensions in the league so for him, all of a sudden to have a halo on his head is kinda funny”
As I mentioned before, it seems like a lot of hockey people are citing hypocrisy, sometimes to deflect the obvious wrongs they have committed. The bottom line is that Heatley deserved a suspension for the hit – many think that he should have gotten at least another game, especially with the GM meetings focusing on questionable hits – so the Kindergarten-grade “He started it” excuse isn’t going to fly.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)