Mar 17, 2011, 7:42 PM EDT
At this point, if you’ve been following suspension rulings during this season, you should know the drill. Player A nails Player B with a check that is clearly against the rules, although it’s nothing out of the ordinary in a league in which this stuff happens all the time. Player B expresses outrage that may or may not seem hypocritical considering his own checkered past. Finally, Player A expresses disbelief regarding the penalty or controversy regarding said hit.
Not only did Heatley tell assembled media members that he didn’t think he caught Ott in the head (he said that he believes he caught Ott’s shoulder), he also became the latest professional hockey player to opt for the “pot calling the kettle black” route. CSN California’s Brodie Brazil has the story, including this quote.
Heatley on Ott: “I’m not going to get into a war of words with him. He’s had his fair share of suspensions in the league so for him, all of a sudden to have a halo on his head is kinda funny”
As I mentioned before, it seems like a lot of hockey people are citing hypocrisy, sometimes to deflect the obvious wrongs they have committed. The bottom line is that Heatley deserved a suspension for the hit – many think that he should have gotten at least another game, especially with the GM meetings focusing on questionable hits – so the Kindergarten-grade “He started it” excuse isn’t going to fly.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)