Mar 17, 2011, 7:42 PM EST
At this point, if you’ve been following suspension rulings during this season, you should know the drill. Player A nails Player B with a check that is clearly against the rules, although it’s nothing out of the ordinary in a league in which this stuff happens all the time. Player B expresses outrage that may or may not seem hypocritical considering his own checkered past. Finally, Player A expresses disbelief regarding the penalty or controversy regarding said hit.
Not only did Heatley tell assembled media members that he didn’t think he caught Ott in the head (he said that he believes he caught Ott’s shoulder), he also became the latest professional hockey player to opt for the “pot calling the kettle black” route. CSN California’s Brodie Brazil has the story, including this quote.
Heatley on Ott: “I’m not going to get into a war of words with him. He’s had his fair share of suspensions in the league so for him, all of a sudden to have a halo on his head is kinda funny”
As I mentioned before, it seems like a lot of hockey people are citing hypocrisy, sometimes to deflect the obvious wrongs they have committed. The bottom line is that Heatley deserved a suspension for the hit – many think that he should have gotten at least another game, especially with the GM meetings focusing on questionable hits – so the Kindergarten-grade “He started it” excuse isn’t going to fly.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)