Mar 15, 2011, 1:18 AM EST
Idle Western Conference bubble teams were in an uncomfortable position tonight, as they were forced to root for their tormentors in Vancouver. That’s because the Canucks hosted – and defeated – the Minnesota Wild on Monday.
Perhaps the Anaheim Ducks, Nashville Predators and Calgary Flames actually cheered out loud when they found out that Vancouver did it without going to overtime or a shootout to boot. With this win, the Canucks became the first team in the NHL to cross the 100-point barrier (101) during the 2010-11 season. No other team has more than the Philadelphia Flyers’ 91, so Vancouver is worthy of the title Prohibitive Stanley Cup Favorite.
They even managed to impress two special guests tonight, as beloved former Canucks captain Trevor Linden sat with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper during the game. (Linden and Harper can be seen in this post’s main image.)
Yet Mikko Koivu wouldn’t allow his team to roll over during his first game back from injury after missing 11 games with a broken finger. He scored a goal and set up an assist in a gutsy performance that ultimately fell short of earning the Wild a much-needed point or two. Minnesota might be getting healthy again with the return of Koivu along with Cal Clutterbuck and Clayton Stoner, but it could be too late.
While the Wild are getting slightly healthier, the Canucks must deal with yet another blow to their brittle defensive corps, even if a Sami Salo setback ranks as one of the most predictable moments in hockey. Salo injured his elbow after blocking a Kyle Brodziak slapper. It’s unclear how severe the injury is at this time.
Vancouver keeps winning game after game even though their spot in the playoffs is safer than any in the NHL. Minnesota needed this game badly, as they find themselves stuck in 11th place with 77 standings points. They remain behind the Ducks (79), Predators (80) and eighth-place Flames (81) for a playoff spot, so this loss must burn.
Yet the way this West race is playing out, anything can happen. Pretty much every night will include at least one important game, so stay tuned. It should be fun.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)