Mar 15, 2011, 12:23 PM EDT
With hockey’s version of March Madness* culminating in the Frozen Four this month, it’s about that time when teams start locking up college players, 2010 first round draft picks who must be signed and other prospects.
* – Actually, I think that the World Junior Championship tournament might be a better “answer” to the NCAA’s wildly hyped tournament because it features a greater collection of future talent, but the Frozen Four is still all about American colleges just like the Final Four. Ultimately, it’s all about how you look at it.
Let’s take a look at two prospect signings that might make a difference for the future of two NHL teams.
- The Anaheim Ducks also sent a conditional fourth round pick and perennial trade victim Joffrey Lupul to the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Francois Beauchemin swap, but Jake Gardiner was probably the biggest asset in the deal for the Leafs. In fact, Leafs GM Brian Burke drafted the speedy defenseman when he was the Ducks GM, so you know that familiarity factored into that move.
Michael Russo reports that the Leafs signed Gardiner to an entry-level contract. Gardiner has been a point-per-game player during his junior season with the University of Wisconsin.
- Adrian Dater passes along word that the Colorado Avalanche have come to terms with 2010 first round draft pick Joey Hishon. The 17th pick of the draft will finish the season with the OHL’s Owen Sound Attack. He has 36 goals and 47 assists for 83 points in 46 games in the OHL this season.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)