Mar 15, 2011, 11:51 PM EDT
It’s a record that’s lasted just over four years, but Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester is the new holder of the ironman record for defensemen. Bouwmeester suited up for and played against Phoenix tonight, his 496th straight game played in the NHL breaking the record that was held by Karlis Skrastins.
Bouwmeester hasn’t missed a game since the start of the 2003-2004 season with the Florida Panthers. Since the start of that season, he’s yet to miss a game. We’re hoping that Bouwmeester will have better luck than Skrastins had when he broke the record back in 2007. When Skrastins broke Tim Horton’s record with his 487th straight game, it would only be eight games later that he’d see it come to an end with a knee injury.
If you’re curious how far Bouwmeester has to go to break the all-time record for consecutive games played, it would take a while. Former Canadiens/Capitals/Whalers forward Doug Jarvis holds that record with 964 games played from 1975-1985. If Bouwmeester makes it that far in the current NHL, they should check to see if he’s actually human.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)