Mar 15, 2011, 11:51 PM EDT
It’s a record that’s lasted just over four years, but Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester is the new holder of the ironman record for defensemen. Bouwmeester suited up for and played against Phoenix tonight, his 496th straight game played in the NHL breaking the record that was held by Karlis Skrastins.
Bouwmeester hasn’t missed a game since the start of the 2003-2004 season with the Florida Panthers. Since the start of that season, he’s yet to miss a game. We’re hoping that Bouwmeester will have better luck than Skrastins had when he broke the record back in 2007. When Skrastins broke Tim Horton’s record with his 487th straight game, it would only be eight games later that he’d see it come to an end with a knee injury.
If you’re curious how far Bouwmeester has to go to break the all-time record for consecutive games played, it would take a while. Former Canadiens/Capitals/Whalers forward Doug Jarvis holds that record with 964 games played from 1975-1985. If Bouwmeester makes it that far in the current NHL, they should check to see if he’s actually human.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 9
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 6
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 28
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)