Mar 15, 2011, 11:51 PM EDT
It’s a record that’s lasted just over four years, but Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester is the new holder of the ironman record for defensemen. Bouwmeester suited up for and played against Phoenix tonight, his 496th straight game played in the NHL breaking the record that was held by Karlis Skrastins.
Bouwmeester hasn’t missed a game since the start of the 2003-2004 season with the Florida Panthers. Since the start of that season, he’s yet to miss a game. We’re hoping that Bouwmeester will have better luck than Skrastins had when he broke the record back in 2007. When Skrastins broke Tim Horton’s record with his 487th straight game, it would only be eight games later that he’d see it come to an end with a knee injury.
If you’re curious how far Bouwmeester has to go to break the all-time record for consecutive games played, it would take a while. Former Canadiens/Capitals/Whalers forward Doug Jarvis holds that record with 964 games played from 1975-1985. If Bouwmeester makes it that far in the current NHL, they should check to see if he’s actually human.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)