Mar 14, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
While so much of how Sidney Crosby‘s recovery from a concussion has been shrouded in mystery there was huge and surprising news this morning from the Penguins. Pittsburgh announced this morning that Crosby skated for the first time at Penguins practice since missing 29 straight games with a concussion.
The news of Crosby hitting the ice is a huge step in his recovery from the injury he suffered on January5 against Tampa Bay. It means that Crosby is finally starting to see the symptoms subside from of the hits taken from both Victor Hedman against the Lightning and David Steckel the game previous to that in the Winter Classic.
The Pens reported that Crosby skated for 15 minutes doing skating drils between cones and shooting a few pucks in full gear. It’s not much, but it’s progress just the same for the NHL’s top player.
It’s premature to start drawing up a timetable as to when we might be able to see Crosby back on the ice for the Penguins, but provided all things go well the prospects for Crosby playing again this year have improved. It was impossible to even say he’d play again this year until he got back on the ice. Now that he’s done at least that, hope that he can play at some point again this year is back and if he plays again the Pens chances in the playoffs improve that much more.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)