Mar 14, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
While so much of how Sidney Crosby‘s recovery from a concussion has been shrouded in mystery there was huge and surprising news this morning from the Penguins. Pittsburgh announced this morning that Crosby skated for the first time at Penguins practice since missing 29 straight games with a concussion.
The news of Crosby hitting the ice is a huge step in his recovery from the injury he suffered on January5 against Tampa Bay. It means that Crosby is finally starting to see the symptoms subside from of the hits taken from both Victor Hedman against the Lightning and David Steckel the game previous to that in the Winter Classic.
The Pens reported that Crosby skated for 15 minutes doing skating drils between cones and shooting a few pucks in full gear. It’s not much, but it’s progress just the same for the NHL’s top player.
It’s premature to start drawing up a timetable as to when we might be able to see Crosby back on the ice for the Penguins, but provided all things go well the prospects for Crosby playing again this year have improved. It was impossible to even say he’d play again this year until he got back on the ice. Now that he’s done at least that, hope that he can play at some point again this year is back and if he plays again the Pens chances in the playoffs improve that much more.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (85)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)