Mar 14, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
While so much of how Sidney Crosby‘s recovery from a concussion has been shrouded in mystery there was huge and surprising news this morning from the Penguins. Pittsburgh announced this morning that Crosby skated for the first time at Penguins practice since missing 29 straight games with a concussion.
The news of Crosby hitting the ice is a huge step in his recovery from the injury he suffered on January5 against Tampa Bay. It means that Crosby is finally starting to see the symptoms subside from of the hits taken from both Victor Hedman against the Lightning and David Steckel the game previous to that in the Winter Classic.
The Pens reported that Crosby skated for 15 minutes doing skating drils between cones and shooting a few pucks in full gear. It’s not much, but it’s progress just the same for the NHL’s top player.
It’s premature to start drawing up a timetable as to when we might be able to see Crosby back on the ice for the Penguins, but provided all things go well the prospects for Crosby playing again this year have improved. It was impossible to even say he’d play again this year until he got back on the ice. Now that he’s done at least that, hope that he can play at some point again this year is back and if he plays again the Pens chances in the playoffs improve that much more.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)