Mar 14, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
While so much of how Sidney Crosby‘s recovery from a concussion has been shrouded in mystery there was huge and surprising news this morning from the Penguins. Pittsburgh announced this morning that Crosby skated for the first time at Penguins practice since missing 29 straight games with a concussion.
The news of Crosby hitting the ice is a huge step in his recovery from the injury he suffered on January5 against Tampa Bay. It means that Crosby is finally starting to see the symptoms subside from of the hits taken from both Victor Hedman against the Lightning and David Steckel the game previous to that in the Winter Classic.
The Pens reported that Crosby skated for 15 minutes doing skating drils between cones and shooting a few pucks in full gear. It’s not much, but it’s progress just the same for the NHL’s top player.
It’s premature to start drawing up a timetable as to when we might be able to see Crosby back on the ice for the Penguins, but provided all things go well the prospects for Crosby playing again this year have improved. It was impossible to even say he’d play again this year until he got back on the ice. Now that he’s done at least that, hope that he can play at some point again this year is back and if he plays again the Pens chances in the playoffs improve that much more.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)