Mar 14, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
While so much of how Sidney Crosby‘s recovery from a concussion has been shrouded in mystery there was huge and surprising news this morning from the Penguins. Pittsburgh announced this morning that Crosby skated for the first time at Penguins practice since missing 29 straight games with a concussion.
The news of Crosby hitting the ice is a huge step in his recovery from the injury he suffered on January5 against Tampa Bay. It means that Crosby is finally starting to see the symptoms subside from of the hits taken from both Victor Hedman against the Lightning and David Steckel the game previous to that in the Winter Classic.
The Pens reported that Crosby skated for 15 minutes doing skating drils between cones and shooting a few pucks in full gear. It’s not much, but it’s progress just the same for the NHL’s top player.
It’s premature to start drawing up a timetable as to when we might be able to see Crosby back on the ice for the Penguins, but provided all things go well the prospects for Crosby playing again this year have improved. It was impossible to even say he’d play again this year until he got back on the ice. Now that he’s done at least that, hope that he can play at some point again this year is back and if he plays again the Pens chances in the playoffs improve that much more.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)