Mar 14, 2011, 1:05 AM EDT
The Coyotes were able to deliver a punch to the Ducks’ hopes for the playoffs tonight soundly beating them 5-2. Lauri Korpikoski scored twice while Shane Doan had an empty net goal and two assists to lead the offensive attack for Phoenix.
Phoenix was able to withstand Corey Perry on the night as Perry had both Ducks goals giving him 36 on the season. While Perry was outstanding, the rest of the Ducks offense was not to be found as Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 36 Ducks shots on the night to earn the win.
It’ll go down as a footnote in this game, but Phoenix chasing Anaheim starter Dan Ellis after two periods of play and four goals against did something special in this game. Ray Emery emerged from the locker room to start the third period on the ice. It was Emery’s first action in an NHL game since February 1, 2010.
After that game last season, Emery was later diagnosed with a degenerative condition in his hip that was initially thought to be career threatening, yet here he was back on the ice playing goal in the NHL. Emery stopped all nine shots he saw.
With the loss, Anaheim continues to sit in 10th place with 79 points in the Western Conference two points behind Calgary in eighth place. Phoenix’s win vaulted them up the ladder into a fourth place tie with Los Angeles with 83 points. Yes, things are going to be tight and terrifying like this the rest of the way in the West. If you don’t have a team in the fight it’s thrilling theater, otherwise it’s terrifying and you’d better be stocked up on antacids.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)