Mar 14, 2011, 1:05 AM EST
The Coyotes were able to deliver a punch to the Ducks’ hopes for the playoffs tonight soundly beating them 5-2. Lauri Korpikoski scored twice while Shane Doan had an empty net goal and two assists to lead the offensive attack for Phoenix.
Phoenix was able to withstand Corey Perry on the night as Perry had both Ducks goals giving him 36 on the season. While Perry was outstanding, the rest of the Ducks offense was not to be found as Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 36 Ducks shots on the night to earn the win.
It’ll go down as a footnote in this game, but Phoenix chasing Anaheim starter Dan Ellis after two periods of play and four goals against did something special in this game. Ray Emery emerged from the locker room to start the third period on the ice. It was Emery’s first action in an NHL game since February 1, 2010.
After that game last season, Emery was later diagnosed with a degenerative condition in his hip that was initially thought to be career threatening, yet here he was back on the ice playing goal in the NHL. Emery stopped all nine shots he saw.
With the loss, Anaheim continues to sit in 10th place with 79 points in the Western Conference two points behind Calgary in eighth place. Phoenix’s win vaulted them up the ladder into a fourth place tie with Los Angeles with 83 points. Yes, things are going to be tight and terrifying like this the rest of the way in the West. If you don’t have a team in the fight it’s thrilling theater, otherwise it’s terrifying and you’d better be stocked up on antacids.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)