Mar 14, 2011, 1:05 AM EST
The Coyotes were able to deliver a punch to the Ducks’ hopes for the playoffs tonight soundly beating them 5-2. Lauri Korpikoski scored twice while Shane Doan had an empty net goal and two assists to lead the offensive attack for Phoenix.
Phoenix was able to withstand Corey Perry on the night as Perry had both Ducks goals giving him 36 on the season. While Perry was outstanding, the rest of the Ducks offense was not to be found as Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 36 Ducks shots on the night to earn the win.
It’ll go down as a footnote in this game, but Phoenix chasing Anaheim starter Dan Ellis after two periods of play and four goals against did something special in this game. Ray Emery emerged from the locker room to start the third period on the ice. It was Emery’s first action in an NHL game since February 1, 2010.
After that game last season, Emery was later diagnosed with a degenerative condition in his hip that was initially thought to be career threatening, yet here he was back on the ice playing goal in the NHL. Emery stopped all nine shots he saw.
With the loss, Anaheim continues to sit in 10th place with 79 points in the Western Conference two points behind Calgary in eighth place. Phoenix’s win vaulted them up the ladder into a fourth place tie with Los Angeles with 83 points. Yes, things are going to be tight and terrifying like this the rest of the way in the West. If you don’t have a team in the fight it’s thrilling theater, otherwise it’s terrifying and you’d better be stocked up on antacids.
- Devils fire DeBoer 5
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 8
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)