Mar 14, 2011, 10:33 PM EST
At one point in the season, it seemed like Atlanta Thrashers hybrid defenseman Dustin Byfuglien might have a chance to eclipse the 70-point mark. He became a worthy all-star this season thanks in large part to his 40 points in the months of October, November and December.
Yet something must have happened to “Buffy the Hamburger Slayer” around New Year’s, because the hard-shooting blueliner hasn’t been able to maintain that first half magic in 2011. After notching those 40 points in only 41 games – stunning numbers for any defenseman, even a “rover” like Byfuglien – he has nine points in his last 27 games. That’s not a great sign for the franchise, especially after handing him a Byfuglien-sized five-year, $26 million contract recently.
Despite his relative struggles, the team needs him to play if they want to make a desperate late run back into the playoff picture. Atlanta might need to fight without their super-sized defenseman for a bit, though, as he’s questionable with an upper body injury according to Chris Vivlamore.
Dustin Byfuglien is questionable for Tuesday’s game against New Jersey after he left practice early Monday.
The All-Star defenseman has a lower-body injury that caused him to miss last Wednesday’s game at Carolina.
“He’s made some pretty miraculous recoveries,” Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay said after Monday’s workout.
Losing Byfuglien for an extended amount of time would be a huge blow to an already staggering team, so we’ll keep you updated regarding his status.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)