Mar 13, 2011, 8:49 PM EST
On a day filled with sadness for the Sabres organization as they received news of legendary Sabres forward Rick Martin passing away this afternoon, the Sabres on the ice did well to honor his legend by lighting up the Senators 6-4. Youngster Tyler Ennis led the way for Buffalo scoring two goals while Nathan Gerbe scored a ripper of a slap shot that had coach Lindy Ruff praising Gerbe for scoring in a way that made him think of Martin.
Sabres defenseman Mike Weber finished the game with three assists and Thomas Vanek had a goal and an assist as well for Buffalo as they improved to 76 points and back into a tie for seventh in the Eastern Conference with the Rangers. Jhonas Enroth got the start in goal and made 34 saves for Buffalo to earn the win.
Ottawa’s Jason Spezza had a huge game in the loss scoring two goals and assisting on both Colin Greening and Erik Karlsson‘s goals as well. Spezza is virtually the lone big name forward left on the ice at the moment for the Senators and seeing him step up in such a way is encouraging to see. Craig Anderson was chased from the game after giving up four goals on 17 shots in just 22:10 of action. Curtis McElhinney took the loss in the game, however, giving up two goals in 16 shots.
The win keeps Buffalo four ahead of Carolina for the final playoff spots in the East while Toronto and Atlanta are each six points out. New Jersey continues to lurk eight points out. Florida and the Islanders are a distant 11 points back. The Sabres will have an important game coming on Tuesday night at home against Carolina. With less than 15 games to go in the season for most teams, every game will feel like a playoff game for teams still in the hunt.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 13
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)