Mar 13, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
If you thought the NBC Game of the Week between the Chicago Blackhawks and Washington Capitals featured a wild ending, then you should have seen how Los Angeles Kings and Dallas Stars finished their big Pacific Division match.
The Kings were clinging to a 2-1 lead late in the third period, even as the Stars fought desperately in front of their home crowd. It seemed like Jonathan Quick and the Kings would manage to hold onto that slim lead until Jamie Langenbrunner jumped on a rebound to tie the game at 2-2 with 43 seconds left.
It looked like Dallas would get at least one point from the game until Wayne Simmonds caused havoc in the Stars’ end of the ice. The young, scrappy forward brought the puck down low, then Alexei Ponikarovsky (and maybe Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas?) created an odd rebound that bounced out to Michal Handzus, who banged the puck home with just 21 seconds left to win the game.
Those two points are big for Los Angeles, especially since they earned them during regulation rather than overtime. The win catapults the Kings to fourth place with 83 points while the Stars are tied with the Blackhawks for fifth with 82.
It might have been excessive to say that the Penguins “needed” this type of win – a resounding victory against a lesser opponent – but this must have felt good.
They only managed a 1-0 lead after out-shooting the Oilers 13-2 in the first period, but the game never really seemed to be in much doubt for Pittsburgh. Chris Kunitz scored two goals, Tyler Kennedy racked up three assists and Marc-Andre Fleury won his 31st win of the season by stopping 28 out of 29 shots.
This win strengthens their fourth place lead over the Tampa Bay Lightning to three points, although the Bolts own a game in hand.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)