Mar 13, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals are carrying much of the play, yet the Chicago Blackhawks managed to make it out of the second period with a 2-2 tie. If the Caps end up losing this game, Braden Holtby might be one of the parties to blame, especially after allowing an ugly odd angle goal by Tomas Kopecky (the only tally of the middle frame).
It’s been an outstanding game so far, with hostilities starting to boil over. Speedy Capitals winger Jason Chimera got away with a goalie interference call late in the second when he caught Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford with an elbow. The tensions over that hit (and the non-call) lead to a rare fight between pricey Chicago defenseman Brent Seabrook and Chimera, even if it was basically just a grab fest.
While the Capitals have made plenty of national TV appearances on NBC and Versus this season, this afternoon’s game almost seems like a “coming out party” for their change to a defense-first (but still aggressive) style. Even beyond Boyd Gordon‘s shorthanded goal in the first period, the team’s penalty kill is giving the ‘Hawks a lot of trouble today.
Yet as well as Washington is playing, it’s still a tie game. If the first 40 minutes of this game is any indication, we’re in for a compelling and dramatic finish.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)