Mar 13, 2011, 2:18 PM EST
The Washington Capitals are carrying much of the play, yet the Chicago Blackhawks managed to make it out of the second period with a 2-2 tie. If the Caps end up losing this game, Braden Holtby might be one of the parties to blame, especially after allowing an ugly odd angle goal by Tomas Kopecky (the only tally of the middle frame).
It’s been an outstanding game so far, with hostilities starting to boil over. Speedy Capitals winger Jason Chimera got away with a goalie interference call late in the second when he caught Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford with an elbow. The tensions over that hit (and the non-call) lead to a rare fight between pricey Chicago defenseman Brent Seabrook and Chimera, even if it was basically just a grab fest.
While the Capitals have made plenty of national TV appearances on NBC and Versus this season, this afternoon’s game almost seems like a “coming out party” for their change to a defense-first (but still aggressive) style. Even beyond Boyd Gordon‘s shorthanded goal in the first period, the team’s penalty kill is giving the ‘Hawks a lot of trouble today.
Yet as well as Washington is playing, it’s still a tie game. If the first 40 minutes of this game is any indication, we’re in for a compelling and dramatic finish.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)