Mar 13, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
Buffalo Sabres legendary forward Rick Martin has passed away. According to The Buffalo News, Martin reportedly suffered a heart attack while driving. He was 59 years old.
He was a member of the legendary “French Connection” line for the Sabres during the 1970s. Paired up with Gilbert Perreault and Rene Robert, Martin was a goal scoring force for the Sabres during their early heyday. Five times during his 11-year NHL career Martin scored 40 or more goals, including back-to-back seasons with 52 goals in 1973-74 and 1974-75.
The Sabres statement on Martin pays reverence to the man who helped Buffalo hockey in their earliest years.
“The Buffalo Sabres are saddened to announce the passing of Buffalo Sabres Hall of Famer and member of the famed French Connection, Rick Martin. Rick was not only one of the greatest players in franchise history, he was a great friend to the Sabres organization and the entire community. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Sabres organization go out to his wife Mikey and their two sons, Corey and Josh.”
Recently, new Sabres owner Terry Pegula brought back the French Connection as a means to celebrate the history of the team and to help new fans appreciate the roots that helped Pegula become a Sabres fan. Reuniting those three players was a great symbolic treat for fans in Buffalo and as Sabres Edge notes, Rene Robert, who just lost his brother this morning to a heart attack, said this will be a tough blow for fans in Buffalo.
“It’s like a bad dream,” said Robert, who is in Florida visiting his daughter. “First my brother, then my left winger. I lose Rico (Martin). I tell you what. This one is going to be tough for everybody in Buffalo. It’s too bad. (Owner Terry) Pegula just put us together. He told us, ‘You guys are going to be here now until you die.'”
Expect the outpouring of emotion and recognition for Martin to be very honorable and moving. The Sabres play this afternoon at home against Ottawa.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38