Mar 12, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
After winning their 2009 playoff series 4-3, the Montreal Canadiens bested the Pittsburgh Penguins once again, going 3-1-0 in the two teams’ 2010-11 season series. This time around, Carey Price turned aside all 26 shots to spoil Pittsburgh’s 200th consecutive home sellout.
While it was a nice afternoon for Price (who recorded his eighth shutout and 33rd win of the 2010-11 season), it wasn’t so great for Marc-Andre Fleury. Fleury was pulled from the game about seven minutes into the second period after allowing three goals on only 12 shots. Brent Johnson made eight saves in relief work for the Pens.
The Canadiens find themselves only two points behind the Boston Bruins for the Northeast Division lead, although Boston holds one game in hand. Still, the B’s have lost four games in a row, so Montreal has a legitimate chance to catch up on their now-even-more-hated rivals.
Meanwhile the Penguins remain four points behind the Philadelphia Flyers for the Atlantic Division title and Philly also has two more games remaining. Pittsburgh is also in risk of losing home ice in the first round, as the Tampa Bay Lightning could move into a fourth-place tie with the Pens by beating the Florida Panthers tonight.
Then again, maybe the Penguins should just stop wearing those questionable Winter Classic duds, as they’ve apparently only scored three goals in the three games they’ve worn them.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)