Mar 12, 2011, 1:42 PM EDT
Today is a typical Saturday, being that it’s full of games (10) with plenty of playoff implications. (OK, plenty of playoff implications is typical for any day, but we digress.) Since there’s so many contests, we’re going to keep it fairly simple. All start times are according to Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Montreal @ Pittsburgh
Is this uncomfortable reunion week for the Canadiens? After losing Max Pacioretty, the team was forced to play against the goalie who took them to the Eastern Conference finals (4-1 loss to St. Louis) and now play the team they beat to get there in Pittsburgh. This should be a good test for both teams.
Columbus @ Carolina
As bad as things have been going for the Hurricanes (three losses in a row, seated outside the East’s top eight), they’re that much worse for the bumbling Blue Jackets. Columbus is on a seven-game losing streak, so they should be a desperate team, but file this under “Games you must win if you want to make the playoffs” for the Canes.
NY Islanders @ New Jersey
The Devils keep winning and winning, while the Islanders quietly stay just a stride or two behind New Jersey. If the Isles win today in regulation, they will have the same amount of standings points (although the Devils will have two games in hand). That’s quite the turnaround, though one wonders how much it will benefit Garth Snow’s team in the long run.
Atlanta @ Philadelphia
Dustin Byfuglien and Chris Pronger (health permitting) get to renew their hostilities Stanley Cup finals, although the match loses some of its luster since Buff is playing on defense/being a rover. The Thrashers need this one badly after losing to Ilya Kovalchuk and the Devils last night.
Buffalo @ Toronto
One must wonder if Toronto-area hockey fans are just hoping that one of these two teams make the playoffs. After all, Buffalo is just a hop, skip and a jump away from that area, making it an interesting foster team for jilted Leafs fans. It’s definitely a big one for both teams, with the Sabres in seventh and the Maple Leafs in 10th.
Tampa Bay @ Florida
This might be the week in which the Lightning’s Southeast Division hopes go up in smoke, unless they excel during this four-game road swing. The Panthers are a very Panther-like 1-1-1 in the first half of their six-game homestand. Will this be the night their playoff hopes will be put to bed?
Detroit @ St. Louis
The Blues seem like the West’s answer to the Islanders: they’ve been hit with a litany of injuries yet they’re currently putting together a winning run that might ultimately be pointless. This might be their best chance to take points from Detroit, though, being that the game’s in St. Louis and the Red Wings squeaked out an OT win against Edmonton last night.
Colorado @ Nashville
Jeez, the Avalanche are a downer. Either that, or they’re very committed to tanking this season. The 10th place Predators would love to help them maintain that losing spirit as they have some ground to make up to get back in the top eight.
Vancouver @ Calgary
As stunning as the Flames’ turnaround has been, they’re one of those home-dependent (21 wins in Calgary vs. only 15 on the road) clubs who might be in serious trouble in a 1 vs. 8 seed match. Then again, who wouldn’t be in trouble against the Canucks in the playoffs?
NY Rangers @ San Jose
The Ducks slapped the Rangers around on Thursday. Will the Sharks be equally unaccommodating as New York plays its second game against tough California teams? With the Stars nipping at their heels, San Jose has plenty to play for, which might not bode well for the Broadway bunch.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)