Mar 11, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT
Just when you thought the Zdeno Chara-Max Pacioretty controversy would force Sidney Crosby‘s concussion issues to the background for just a little bit, Twitter was abuzz for a bit today with the latest Sid-related rumor.
Apparently Fan 590’s Bob McCown claimed that Crosby’s family is trying to convince him to retire because of the concussion issues that derailed what could have been the best individual season of his already impressive career. While concussions can be serious enough to end a career prematurely, Darren Dreger refuted the claim via Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson.
Brisson said that Crosby’s parents have been “extremely encouraging and supportive” and they will never feed any negative pulse to such a passionate mind.”
So, from the sound of the things, you can relax about Crosby retiring at this point. It’s not crazy to wonder if his family is concerned about his health – and maybe someone in the Crosby clan is whispering the word “retirement” in someone’s ear – but it’s no time to panic.
Naturally, we’ll keep you updated if anything changes or something concrete surfaces. If nothing else, it’s at least a momentary distraction during a day when frivolous hockey talk can be a valuable escape.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)