Mar 11, 2011, 4:26 PM EST
Just when you thought the Zdeno Chara-Max Pacioretty controversy would force Sidney Crosby‘s concussion issues to the background for just a little bit, Twitter was abuzz for a bit today with the latest Sid-related rumor.
Apparently Fan 590’s Bob McCown claimed that Crosby’s family is trying to convince him to retire because of the concussion issues that derailed what could have been the best individual season of his already impressive career. While concussions can be serious enough to end a career prematurely, Darren Dreger refuted the claim via Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson.
Brisson said that Crosby’s parents have been “extremely encouraging and supportive” and they will never feed any negative pulse to such a passionate mind.”
So, from the sound of the things, you can relax about Crosby retiring at this point. It’s not crazy to wonder if his family is concerned about his health – and maybe someone in the Crosby clan is whispering the word “retirement” in someone’s ear – but it’s no time to panic.
Naturally, we’ll keep you updated if anything changes or something concrete surfaces. If nothing else, it’s at least a momentary distraction during a day when frivolous hockey talk can be a valuable escape.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 64
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)