Mar 11, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT
Just when you thought the Zdeno Chara-Max Pacioretty controversy would force Sidney Crosby‘s concussion issues to the background for just a little bit, Twitter was abuzz for a bit today with the latest Sid-related rumor.
Apparently Fan 590′s Bob McCown claimed that Crosby’s family is trying to convince him to retire because of the concussion issues that derailed what could have been the best individual season of his already impressive career. While concussions can be serious enough to end a career prematurely, Darren Dreger refuted the claim via Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson.
Brisson said that Crosby’s parents have been “extremely encouraging and supportive” and they will never feed any negative pulse to such a passionate mind.”
So, from the sound of the things, you can relax about Crosby retiring at this point. It’s not crazy to wonder if his family is concerned about his health – and maybe someone in the Crosby clan is whispering the word “retirement” in someone’s ear – but it’s no time to panic.
Naturally, we’ll keep you updated if anything changes or something concrete surfaces. If nothing else, it’s at least a momentary distraction during a day when frivolous hockey talk can be a valuable escape.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 12
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 59
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional