Mar 11, 2011, 4:26 PM EST
Just when you thought the Zdeno Chara-Max Pacioretty controversy would force Sidney Crosby‘s concussion issues to the background for just a little bit, Twitter was abuzz for a bit today with the latest Sid-related rumor.
Apparently Fan 590’s Bob McCown claimed that Crosby’s family is trying to convince him to retire because of the concussion issues that derailed what could have been the best individual season of his already impressive career. While concussions can be serious enough to end a career prematurely, Darren Dreger refuted the claim via Crosby’s agent Pat Brisson.
Brisson said that Crosby’s parents have been “extremely encouraging and supportive” and they will never feed any negative pulse to such a passionate mind.”
So, from the sound of the things, you can relax about Crosby retiring at this point. It’s not crazy to wonder if his family is concerned about his health – and maybe someone in the Crosby clan is whispering the word “retirement” in someone’s ear – but it’s no time to panic.
Naturally, we’ll keep you updated if anything changes or something concrete surfaces. If nothing else, it’s at least a momentary distraction during a day when frivolous hockey talk can be a valuable escape.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11