Mar 11, 2011, 1:28 AM EDT
Whether you love him or hate him, there’s no questioning the fact that Philadelphia Flyers forward Daniel Carcillo makes the hockey world a more interesting place. On Thursday night, he was the recipient of a rather brutal cross-check/boarding from Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek 3:45 into the game. Komisarek earned a 5-minute boarding call, a 10-minute game misconduct, and an early shower for his efforts.
Instead of issuing the bland, rehearsed statements that we’ve all grown accustomed to after the game, Carcillo took the opportunity to speak his mind after Philly’s 3-2 victory:
“Carcillo briefly went to the visiting dressing room for some treatment before returning to the bench. He would have preferred Komisarek wasn’t thrown out of the game.
“I kind of would have liked to see him stay on the ice, to do something about it,” Carcillo said. “But I’ll have to wait until next year.”
Of course, there’s no way Carcillo would imply the threat of violence in retaliation for a check. Surely, he was simply talking about a polite conversation to explain his viewpoint and how he disagreed with Komisarek’s decision-making. Yet with Carcillo (he of 10 fighting majors in 42 games), the conversation would probably have fewer words and more overhand right-crosses.
Here’s the video of the offending check. What do you think? Does Komisarek deserve a call from NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell or was the 5-minute major sufficient punishment? Let us know in the comments.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)