Mar 11, 2011, 1:28 AM EDT
Whether you love him or hate him, there’s no questioning the fact that Philadelphia Flyers forward Daniel Carcillo makes the hockey world a more interesting place. On Thursday night, he was the recipient of a rather brutal cross-check/boarding from Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek 3:45 into the game. Komisarek earned a 5-minute boarding call, a 10-minute game misconduct, and an early shower for his efforts.
Instead of issuing the bland, rehearsed statements that we’ve all grown accustomed to after the game, Carcillo took the opportunity to speak his mind after Philly’s 3-2 victory:
“Carcillo briefly went to the visiting dressing room for some treatment before returning to the bench. He would have preferred Komisarek wasn’t thrown out of the game.
“I kind of would have liked to see him stay on the ice, to do something about it,” Carcillo said. “But I’ll have to wait until next year.”
Of course, there’s no way Carcillo would imply the threat of violence in retaliation for a check. Surely, he was simply talking about a polite conversation to explain his viewpoint and how he disagreed with Komisarek’s decision-making. Yet with Carcillo (he of 10 fighting majors in 42 games), the conversation would probably have fewer words and more overhand right-crosses.
Here’s the video of the offending check. What do you think? Does Komisarek deserve a call from NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell or was the 5-minute major sufficient punishment? Let us know in the comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
It sounds like he needs to enter the 2015 NHL Draft.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”
Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
D-man was likely headed to AHL Utica.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Looks like both have avoided serious damage.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
And they open at home on Oct. 10.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
So says Lindy Ruff.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Could either catch on with another team?
Sep 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Another draft bust leaves the organization.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Defending Eastern Conference champs had some major turnover this summer.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Good things like getting an assist in three straight games.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)