Mar 11, 2011, 1:28 AM EDT
Whether you love him or hate him, there’s no questioning the fact that Philadelphia Flyers forward Daniel Carcillo makes the hockey world a more interesting place. On Thursday night, he was the recipient of a rather brutal cross-check/boarding from Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek 3:45 into the game. Komisarek earned a 5-minute boarding call, a 10-minute game misconduct, and an early shower for his efforts.
Instead of issuing the bland, rehearsed statements that we’ve all grown accustomed to after the game, Carcillo took the opportunity to speak his mind after Philly’s 3-2 victory:
“Carcillo briefly went to the visiting dressing room for some treatment before returning to the bench. He would have preferred Komisarek wasn’t thrown out of the game.
“I kind of would have liked to see him stay on the ice, to do something about it,” Carcillo said. “But I’ll have to wait until next year.”
Of course, there’s no way Carcillo would imply the threat of violence in retaliation for a check. Surely, he was simply talking about a polite conversation to explain his viewpoint and how he disagreed with Komisarek’s decision-making. Yet with Carcillo (he of 10 fighting majors in 42 games), the conversation would probably have fewer words and more overhand right-crosses.
Here’s the video of the offending check. What do you think? Does Komisarek deserve a call from NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell or was the 5-minute major sufficient punishment? Let us know in the comments.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)