Mar 11, 2011, 1:28 AM EDT
Whether you love him or hate him, there’s no questioning the fact that Philadelphia Flyers forward Daniel Carcillo makes the hockey world a more interesting place. On Thursday night, he was the recipient of a rather brutal cross-check/boarding from Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek 3:45 into the game. Komisarek earned a 5-minute boarding call, a 10-minute game misconduct, and an early shower for his efforts.
Instead of issuing the bland, rehearsed statements that we’ve all grown accustomed to after the game, Carcillo took the opportunity to speak his mind after Philly’s 3-2 victory:
“Carcillo briefly went to the visiting dressing room for some treatment before returning to the bench. He would have preferred Komisarek wasn’t thrown out of the game.
“I kind of would have liked to see him stay on the ice, to do something about it,” Carcillo said. “But I’ll have to wait until next year.”
Of course, there’s no way Carcillo would imply the threat of violence in retaliation for a check. Surely, he was simply talking about a polite conversation to explain his viewpoint and how he disagreed with Komisarek’s decision-making. Yet with Carcillo (he of 10 fighting majors in 42 games), the conversation would probably have fewer words and more overhand right-crosses.
Here’s the video of the offending check. What do you think? Does Komisarek deserve a call from NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell or was the 5-minute major sufficient punishment? Let us know in the comments.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)