Mar 11, 2011, 1:28 AM EDT
Whether you love him or hate him, there’s no questioning the fact that Philadelphia Flyers forward Daniel Carcillo makes the hockey world a more interesting place. On Thursday night, he was the recipient of a rather brutal cross-check/boarding from Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek 3:45 into the game. Komisarek earned a 5-minute boarding call, a 10-minute game misconduct, and an early shower for his efforts.
Instead of issuing the bland, rehearsed statements that we’ve all grown accustomed to after the game, Carcillo took the opportunity to speak his mind after Philly’s 3-2 victory:
“Carcillo briefly went to the visiting dressing room for some treatment before returning to the bench. He would have preferred Komisarek wasn’t thrown out of the game.
“I kind of would have liked to see him stay on the ice, to do something about it,” Carcillo said. “But I’ll have to wait until next year.”
Of course, there’s no way Carcillo would imply the threat of violence in retaliation for a check. Surely, he was simply talking about a polite conversation to explain his viewpoint and how he disagreed with Komisarek’s decision-making. Yet with Carcillo (he of 10 fighting majors in 42 games), the conversation would probably have fewer words and more overhand right-crosses.
Here’s the video of the offending check. What do you think? Does Komisarek deserve a call from NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell or was the 5-minute major sufficient punishment? Let us know in the comments.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 5
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)