Mar 11, 2011, 12:21 PM EST
While it’s true that every team deals with injuries, it seems like some get bit by that bug to an almost ridiculous degree. Aside from possibly the New York Islanders (a team who lost their best defenseman Mark Streit before a single game was played and also dealt without Kyle Okposo for most of the campaign), the St. Louis Blues were probably hit the hardest by injuries this season.
In other words, it’s easy to be cheesy and call them the Black & Blues. You can add two other significant injuries to important players to the docket, as the team announced that solid forward Alex Steen and gritty defenseman Barret Jackman are out. Both are expected to miss four to six weeks, meaning that each player is unlikely to play again this season.
Steen is dealing with a high ankle sprain while Jackman underwent surgery on a broken right finger Thursday morning.
For those who might worry about seeing them play for St. Louis again, they should be back next year barring a trade. Jackman’s deal expires after the 2011-12 season while Steen is locked up through 13-14.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 148
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (148)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)