Mar 11, 2011, 12:21 PM EST
While it’s true that every team deals with injuries, it seems like some get bit by that bug to an almost ridiculous degree. Aside from possibly the New York Islanders (a team who lost their best defenseman Mark Streit before a single game was played and also dealt without Kyle Okposo for most of the campaign), the St. Louis Blues were probably hit the hardest by injuries this season.
In other words, it’s easy to be cheesy and call them the Black & Blues. You can add two other significant injuries to important players to the docket, as the team announced that solid forward Alex Steen and gritty defenseman Barret Jackman are out. Both are expected to miss four to six weeks, meaning that each player is unlikely to play again this season.
Steen is dealing with a high ankle sprain while Jackman underwent surgery on a broken right finger Thursday morning.
For those who might worry about seeing them play for St. Louis again, they should be back next year barring a trade. Jackman’s deal expires after the 2011-12 season while Steen is locked up through 13-14.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)