Mar 11, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT
While it’s true that every team deals with injuries, it seems like some get bit by that bug to an almost ridiculous degree. Aside from possibly the New York Islanders (a team who lost their best defenseman Mark Streit before a single game was played and also dealt without Kyle Okposo for most of the campaign), the St. Louis Blues were probably hit the hardest by injuries this season.
In other words, it’s easy to be cheesy and call them the Black & Blues. You can add two other significant injuries to important players to the docket, as the team announced that solid forward Alex Steen and gritty defenseman Barret Jackman are out. Both are expected to miss four to six weeks, meaning that each player is unlikely to play again this season.
Steen is dealing with a high ankle sprain while Jackman underwent surgery on a broken right finger Thursday morning.
For those who might worry about seeing them play for St. Louis again, they should be back next year barring a trade. Jackman’s deal expires after the 2011-12 season while Steen is locked up through 13-14.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)