Mar 11, 2011, 10:07 PM EST
The Blackhawks stormed the White House in Washington today as President Barack Obama met with the team and congratulated them for winning the Stanley Cup last season. With Obama being a former U.S. Senator from Illinois and growing up in Chicago, welcoming the Blackhawks to the White House was extra special for the Commander In Chief.
Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago was there with the team today and found out that President Obama was a big fan of how the Hawks were able to unite Chicago behind a common cause in rooting for the team to win their first Stanley Cup since 1966.
“During the playoffs, even the Michael Jordan statue had a Blackhawks uniform on. And when the Hawks visited Wrigley Field during the Crosstown Classic, they did something even tougher than winning the Cup — they got 40,000 Sox fans and Cubs fans to stand up and cheer at the same team,” Obama said. “(That’s) never happened before.”
White Sox and Cubs fans living together… Mass hysteria!
The President was also able to make a nice impression on Team USA star Patrick Kane both with his play on the ice and his sweet mullet in the playoffs. Obama said of Kane’s ‘do: “I thought it was pretty sharp.”
As for Kane, he was excited to just be there.
“I was happy with his speech. I got mentioned three times in his speech,” Kane said laughing, as he played hockey with kids on the south lawn. “I don’t know who was counting but somebody told me.”
The Blackhawks overdue White House trip was made easier by them being in town to play the Capitals on Sunday. Having a few days off helped free up their schedule and now they’ll gear up for their Sunday showdown in NBC’s Game of the Week at 12:30 p.m. ET against the Caps.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)