Mar 11, 2011, 10:07 PM EDT
The Blackhawks stormed the White House in Washington today as President Barack Obama met with the team and congratulated them for winning the Stanley Cup last season. With Obama being a former U.S. Senator from Illinois and growing up in Chicago, welcoming the Blackhawks to the White House was extra special for the Commander In Chief.
Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago was there with the team today and found out that President Obama was a big fan of how the Hawks were able to unite Chicago behind a common cause in rooting for the team to win their first Stanley Cup since 1966.
“During the playoffs, even the Michael Jordan statue had a Blackhawks uniform on. And when the Hawks visited Wrigley Field during the Crosstown Classic, they did something even tougher than winning the Cup — they got 40,000 Sox fans and Cubs fans to stand up and cheer at the same team,” Obama said. “(That’s) never happened before.”
White Sox and Cubs fans living together… Mass hysteria!
The President was also able to make a nice impression on Team USA star Patrick Kane both with his play on the ice and his sweet mullet in the playoffs. Obama said of Kane’s ‘do: “I thought it was pretty sharp.”
As for Kane, he was excited to just be there.
“I was happy with his speech. I got mentioned three times in his speech,” Kane said laughing, as he played hockey with kids on the south lawn. “I don’t know who was counting but somebody told me.”
The Blackhawks overdue White House trip was made easier by them being in town to play the Capitals on Sunday. Having a few days off helped free up their schedule and now they’ll gear up for their Sunday showdown in NBC’s Game of the Week at 12:30 p.m. ET against the Caps.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)