Mar 10, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
During last night’s Lightning shootout win over the Blackhawks, Chicago’s Dave Bolland left last night’s game after playing just 4:51. It wasn’t immediately known what happened to Bolland, but replays showed that Lightning defenseman Pavel Kubina caught him with an elbow to the head with 2:09 left in the first period.
Today, Kubina heard from the NHL for his reckless shot to the head and he’s been suspended for three games for the infraction. The Lightning defense will have to do without the well-rounded veteran until March 17 when he’s eligible to return. Kubina will give up $60,096.76 in salary to the Players Emergency Assistance Fund for running afoul of the law.
As for Bolland’s condition, it hasn’t been updated as of yet but we’re hoping he escaped any sort of concussion from the hit. Tampa Bay will now have to figure out who takes Kubina’s spot in the lineup for the next three games and replace his three goals and 19 assists as well as his nearly 20 minutes per game of ice time.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)