Mar 10, 2011, 2:20 PM EST
During last night’s Lightning shootout win over the Blackhawks, Chicago’s Dave Bolland left last night’s game after playing just 4:51. It wasn’t immediately known what happened to Bolland, but replays showed that Lightning defenseman Pavel Kubina caught him with an elbow to the head with 2:09 left in the first period.
Today, Kubina heard from the NHL for his reckless shot to the head and he’s been suspended for three games for the infraction. The Lightning defense will have to do without the well-rounded veteran until March 17 when he’s eligible to return. Kubina will give up $60,096.76 in salary to the Players Emergency Assistance Fund for running afoul of the law.
As for Bolland’s condition, it hasn’t been updated as of yet but we’re hoping he escaped any sort of concussion from the hit. Tampa Bay will now have to figure out who takes Kubina’s spot in the lineup for the next three games and replace his three goals and 19 assists as well as his nearly 20 minutes per game of ice time.
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 0
- Mike Richards clears waivers 19
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)