Mar 10, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
During last night’s Lightning shootout win over the Blackhawks, Chicago’s Dave Bolland left last night’s game after playing just 4:51. It wasn’t immediately known what happened to Bolland, but replays showed that Lightning defenseman Pavel Kubina caught him with an elbow to the head with 2:09 left in the first period.
Today, Kubina heard from the NHL for his reckless shot to the head and he’s been suspended for three games for the infraction. The Lightning defense will have to do without the well-rounded veteran until March 17 when he’s eligible to return. Kubina will give up $60,096.76 in salary to the Players Emergency Assistance Fund for running afoul of the law.
As for Bolland’s condition, it hasn’t been updated as of yet but we’re hoping he escaped any sort of concussion from the hit. Tampa Bay will now have to figure out who takes Kubina’s spot in the lineup for the next three games and replace his three goals and 19 assists as well as his nearly 20 minutes per game of ice time.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)