Mar 10, 2011, 4:28 AM EST
Make it six in a row for the Capitals. Alex Ovechkin had two goals (one of which being a beauty) and an assist while Eric Fehr had two goals of his own to lead the offense. Rookie Braden Holtby earned his first career shutout stopping 22 shots against the NHL’s worst team. The Caps maintained their two point lead on Tampa Bay in the Southeast Division as the Lightning also won tonight.
Bobby Ryan had himself a good night scoring a goal and adding three assists in leading the Ducks to victory. Ryan’s four point night was the most impressive of many big nights for the Ducks. Lubomir Visnovsky continues to impress as he had two goals and an assist. Corey Perry likewise had two goals and an assist. Dan Ellis made 30 saves for the Ducks in the win. Marian Gaborik scored his 18th goal of the year while Brandon Dubinsky scored his 20th for New York.
The Kings won an important one for themselves thanks to second period goals from Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown. Detroit has a bit to complain about on Brown’s goal as officials missed a clear high stick to the face of Nick Lidstrom courtesy of Michal Handzus just moments before Brown tipped home the eventual game winning goal. Jonathan Quick made it all stand up for L.A. stopping 28 shots. Darren Helm scored his 10th goal of the year for Detroit who lost a point off their lead on Chicago as the Blackhawks lost in a shootout. Detroit leads Chicago by five points in the Central and holds a two point lead on San Jose for the second seed in the West.
Tampa Bay 4 – Chicago 3 (F/SO)
Calgary 4 – Dallas 3 (F/SO)
Curtis Glencross‘ shootout goal was the decider in Calgary’s win over Dallas. Calgary did hold a 3-0 at one point in the first period and appeared ready to roll over the Stars. As has been typical of late for Dallas, they were able to whittle away and finally tie the game in the third thanks to Tomas Vincour‘s first career NHL goal. Both Miikka Kiprusoff and Kari Lehtonen stopped 31 shots in the game. Lehtonen did not fare as well in the shootout giving up two goals on three shots. Brad Richards had no points and was a -1 for Dallas in his first game back after suffering a concussion.
Atlanta 3 – Carolina 2 (F/OT)
A thriller in Carolina saw the Thrashers pick up their second straight win thanks to Tim Stapleton‘s overtime game-winner. Carolina rallied from a 2-0 early deficit thanks to goals from Troy Bodie in the second and yet another clutch goal from Erik Cole in the third to tie it. Ondrej Pavelec was outstanding in goal for Atlanta stopping 35 shots to earn the win. Carolina sits tied with the Rangers with 72 points in the East while Atlanta is to within five points of New York for the eighth spot in the East.
St. Louis 4 – Columbus 3 (F/OT)
Another night, another soul crushing defeat for Columbus as they saw their 3-1 lead after two periods evaporate in the third and ultimately lose in overtime thanks to Chris Stewart. Stewart tied the game 6:23 into the third scoring his 21st goal, minutes after Ian Cole scored his first NHL goal to cut the lead to one. In overtime, Stewart would fool the Columbus defense and snipe a wicked backhand shot past Mathieu Garon to win it for the Blues with his 22nd goal of the season. Jaroslav Halak earned the win in goal for St. Louis stopping just 19 shots.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 19
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 9
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 69
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (74)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)