Mar 10, 2011, 2:18 AM EDT
If you wanted star power tonight, Tampa Bay was where to find it.
The Lightning and Blackhawks traded body blows all game long with all the biggest stars delivering them all the way through until it concluded with the Lightning winning in shootout 4-3 thanks to Martin St. Louis.
St. Louis delivered a goal in regulation and then capped off the Lightning win with a stirring and spectacular goal in the shootout. While we’re not fans of the shootout here at all, let’s give credit where it’s due, the move St. Louis puts on Corey Crawford provides the entertainment value we hope to find in the NHL’s favorite gimmick.
St. Louis wasn’t the only star to show up in this game. Steve Stamkos broke his six game goalless streak, scoring in the first period for Tampa Bay. For Chicago, Jonathan Toews‘ hot streak since the All-Star Break rolled on as he scored the tying goal and assisted on goals by Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. Toews now has 11 goals and 17 assists in the 18 games since the All-Star break and has nine goals and nine assists in his last 11 games.
The Lightning were able to keep pace with the Capitals in their hunt for the Southeast Division lead. The Caps won easily over the Oilers 5-0. The Blackhawks were able to get a point in their pursuit of Detroit for the Central Division crown as the Wings lost in regulation to Los Angeles 2-1. Chicago will get to do their part to help the Lightning as they face the Caps on NBC’s Game of the Week on Sunday afternoon at 12:30 p.m. ET. With both teams playing well of late, it’s shaping up to be a big game for both teams.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)