Mar 10, 2011, 2:18 AM EST
If you wanted star power tonight, Tampa Bay was where to find it.
The Lightning and Blackhawks traded body blows all game long with all the biggest stars delivering them all the way through until it concluded with the Lightning winning in shootout 4-3 thanks to Martin St. Louis.
St. Louis delivered a goal in regulation and then capped off the Lightning win with a stirring and spectacular goal in the shootout. While we’re not fans of the shootout here at all, let’s give credit where it’s due, the move St. Louis puts on Corey Crawford provides the entertainment value we hope to find in the NHL’s favorite gimmick.
St. Louis wasn’t the only star to show up in this game. Steve Stamkos broke his six game goalless streak, scoring in the first period for Tampa Bay. For Chicago, Jonathan Toews‘ hot streak since the All-Star Break rolled on as he scored the tying goal and assisted on goals by Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. Toews now has 11 goals and 17 assists in the 18 games since the All-Star break and has nine goals and nine assists in his last 11 games.
The Lightning were able to keep pace with the Capitals in their hunt for the Southeast Division lead. The Caps won easily over the Oilers 5-0. The Blackhawks were able to get a point in their pursuit of Detroit for the Central Division crown as the Wings lost in regulation to Los Angeles 2-1. Chicago will get to do their part to help the Lightning as they face the Caps on NBC’s Game of the Week on Sunday afternoon at 12:30 p.m. ET. With both teams playing well of late, it’s shaping up to be a big game for both teams.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)