Mar 10, 2011, 2:18 AM EDT
If you wanted star power tonight, Tampa Bay was where to find it.
The Lightning and Blackhawks traded body blows all game long with all the biggest stars delivering them all the way through until it concluded with the Lightning winning in shootout 4-3 thanks to Martin St. Louis.
St. Louis delivered a goal in regulation and then capped off the Lightning win with a stirring and spectacular goal in the shootout. While we’re not fans of the shootout here at all, let’s give credit where it’s due, the move St. Louis puts on Corey Crawford provides the entertainment value we hope to find in the NHL’s favorite gimmick.
St. Louis wasn’t the only star to show up in this game. Steve Stamkos broke his six game goalless streak, scoring in the first period for Tampa Bay. For Chicago, Jonathan Toews‘ hot streak since the All-Star Break rolled on as he scored the tying goal and assisted on goals by Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. Toews now has 11 goals and 17 assists in the 18 games since the All-Star break and has nine goals and nine assists in his last 11 games.
The Lightning were able to keep pace with the Capitals in their hunt for the Southeast Division lead. The Caps won easily over the Oilers 5-0. The Blackhawks were able to get a point in their pursuit of Detroit for the Central Division crown as the Wings lost in regulation to Los Angeles 2-1. Chicago will get to do their part to help the Lightning as they face the Caps on NBC’s Game of the Week on Sunday afternoon at 12:30 p.m. ET. With both teams playing well of late, it’s shaping up to be a big game for both teams.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)