Mar 10, 2011, 1:42 PM EST
As the schedule winds down and the pressure picks up, any injury has a huge effect on how things go. The Flyers losing Chris Pronger for tonight’s game against Toronto will be even tougher to overcome.
According to CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio, Pronger will be out of tonight’s game with a hand injury. Taking Pronger’s spot in the lineup will be recent acquisition Nick Boynton. Boynton plays a physical brand of hockey as well, but he’s no Pronger.
Philadelphia recently snapped a four game losing streak with a win over Edmonton on Tuesday night, but dealing with a Maple Leafs team that’s been a lot better of late will be a different sort of animal to handle. Doing so without Pronger gives guys like Phil Kessel and Mikhail Grabovski a bit more room on the ice to find their way to the net.
Injuries are all part of the game, obviously, but this one comes at a rough time for Philly as their lead in the Eastern Conference is down to just two points over the Washington Capitals and their lead in the Atlantic Division is just two over the Pittsburgh Penguins. It doesn’t sound as if Pronger’s injury is too serious, but every point makes a big difference down the stretch.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)