Mar 9, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
While Zdeno Chara participated in a noon conference call with the league regarding the horrific hit he delivered, Max Pacioretty remains in the hospital hoping to recover from the fallout. Montreal Canadiens coach Jacques Martin announced that Pacioretty is suffering from a severe concussion and fractured fourth cervical vertebrae (that is not displaced), according to TSN.
Martin said that Pacioretty will be out indefinitely.
Obviously, such an injury will keep Pacioretty out for a significant amount of time, although there’s no read on how long that might be. It seems that the chief concern at this time is his overall health; his status as a future player will be determined some other time.
Hopefully Pacioretty can play again, because the 22-year-old forward was showing some serious potential. He produced four points in his last four games and 14 goals an 10 assists for 24 points in 37 games overall.
Meanwhile, the severity of Pacioretty’s injuries probably heighten the chances that Chara will face a pretty stiff plenty from the league (read Joe’s take on the NHL’s awkward position here).
Here’s video footage of the hit for your own perusal. Warning: it can be pretty tough to watch.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)