Mar 9, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
While Zdeno Chara participated in a noon conference call with the league regarding the horrific hit he delivered, Max Pacioretty remains in the hospital hoping to recover from the fallout. Montreal Canadiens coach Jacques Martin announced that Pacioretty is suffering from a severe concussion and fractured fourth cervical vertebrae (that is not displaced), according to TSN.
Martin said that Pacioretty will be out indefinitely.
Obviously, such an injury will keep Pacioretty out for a significant amount of time, although there’s no read on how long that might be. It seems that the chief concern at this time is his overall health; his status as a future player will be determined some other time.
Hopefully Pacioretty can play again, because the 22-year-old forward was showing some serious potential. He produced four points in his last four games and 14 goals an 10 assists for 24 points in 37 games overall.
Meanwhile, the severity of Pacioretty’s injuries probably heighten the chances that Chara will face a pretty stiff plenty from the league (read Joe’s take on the NHL’s awkward position here).
Here’s video footage of the hit for your own perusal. Warning: it can be pretty tough to watch.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 8
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 20
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 10
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 64
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 23
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination