Mar 9, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If you’ve only followed the Boston Bruins during this season – or simply missed last year – then you might have a low opinion of backup Tuukka Rask. In 2009-10, Rask came in for a struggling Tim Thomas to power the team to a hard-fought playoff spot while simultaneously leaving Toronto Maple Leafs fans with bitter feelings that the team swapped him for next to nothing.
After that outstanding rookie campaign, Rask’s struggles have combined with the astounding brilliance of Thomas to keep the Finnish goalie planted on the bench. Even when he’s getting equal time, he’s less likely to earn this award because he plays a more conventional style than his floptastic rotation mate.
Yet once you watch this video, it should be clear that Rask is capable of making some beauties of his own … even if Tuesday wasn’t a great night for him or the Bruins overall.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18