Mar 9, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT
While the Phoenix Coyotes sale prompts hand-wringing and plenty of awkward Gary Bettman interviews, the Atlanta Thrashers’ situation has been able to slide under the radar a bit. Sure, it might be because most of the issues are isolated to the Atlanta Spirit and the process hasn’t been generating headlines for years, but it seems like the Thrashers haven’t generated the same level of angst.
That doesn’t really reduce the chances of the team moving from Atlanta itself, but there’s some positivity that the team might stay in Georgia.
One of the team’s current owners Bruce Levenson said that there are three potential buyers from the area who would be interested in keeping the team right where it is, according to Craig Custance of the Sporting News.
According to Levenson, the three potential buyers are currently only interested in buying the Thrashers and not the NBA’s Hawks — and all would keep the NHL team in Atlanta.
The preference is to sell to a local buyer, but ownership hasn’t ruled out ultimately selling to someone interested in moving the team. The group has not yet engaged in serous conversations with anyone outside of Atlanta interested in moving the Thrashers.
When will that change?
“When we have exhausted our efforts to find somebody in Atlanta,” Levenson said.
The challenge in finding a local buyer is finding someone willing to lose money for a potential long period, like Hulsizer said he’s willing to do in Phoenix. The Thrashers, despite an improved team, could lose as much as $20 million this season. Ticket revenues remain near the bottom of the league.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)