Mar 9, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
One of the saddest and most unexpected stories of the 2010-11 season revolves around the mysterious, vertigo-like issues plaguing Anaheim Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller. The Swiss-born netminder began dealing with those problems on February 2nd, only playing one game since (a shutout of the San Jose Sharks on February 13th).
If you’re looking for good news regarding Hiller’s situation, you’re out of luck. It seems like the talented goalie is in a troubled state right now. He continues to wrestle with those issues and in many ways, things have only gotten worse according to Eric Stephens of the OC Register.
Stephens reports that Hiller seemingly is passing baseline tests so far, although he underwent more on Monday. Here is what he said about the situation.
“It kind of feels like I’m always falling behind the play,” Hiller said. “It’s like I can’t keep up with the puck any more. I might be physcially there but I always feel like my head’s not there yet. I almost feel like I’m running behind the whole play for half a second or something.
“I’m always trying to catch up, which throws me off even more.”
Hiller said that the vertigo doesn’t bother him much off the ice but that the symptoms appear to worsen whenever he attempts to push himself in on-ice sessions prior to practice.
“The problem is some days I feel actually pretty good,” he said. “There’s days that are pretty good. There are days when it’s really bad. So it’s kind of up and down. It’s just kind of tough because every time I have a good day, I feel like, ‘Yeah, it’s coming’ and the next day is a bad day and I always feel like I’m two steps back again.”
It’s a tough scenario for Hiller and the Ducks, as Anaheim signed him to a four-year, $18 million going into this season. The situation is odd and disconcerting, but we’ll keep you updated as he grapples with these strange symptoms.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 8
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 7
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 93
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (93)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)