Mar 9, 2011, 2:29 PM EST
One of the saddest and most unexpected stories of the 2010-11 season revolves around the mysterious, vertigo-like issues plaguing Anaheim Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller. The Swiss-born netminder began dealing with those problems on February 2nd, only playing one game since (a shutout of the San Jose Sharks on February 13th).
If you’re looking for good news regarding Hiller’s situation, you’re out of luck. It seems like the talented goalie is in a troubled state right now. He continues to wrestle with those issues and in many ways, things have only gotten worse according to Eric Stephens of the OC Register.
Stephens reports that Hiller seemingly is passing baseline tests so far, although he underwent more on Monday. Here is what he said about the situation.
“It kind of feels like I’m always falling behind the play,” Hiller said. “It’s like I can’t keep up with the puck any more. I might be physcially there but I always feel like my head’s not there yet. I almost feel like I’m running behind the whole play for half a second or something.
“I’m always trying to catch up, which throws me off even more.”
Hiller said that the vertigo doesn’t bother him much off the ice but that the symptoms appear to worsen whenever he attempts to push himself in on-ice sessions prior to practice.
“The problem is some days I feel actually pretty good,” he said. “There’s days that are pretty good. There are days when it’s really bad. So it’s kind of up and down. It’s just kind of tough because every time I have a good day, I feel like, ‘Yeah, it’s coming’ and the next day is a bad day and I always feel like I’m two steps back again.”
It’s a tough scenario for Hiller and the Ducks, as Anaheim signed him to a four-year, $18 million going into this season. The situation is odd and disconcerting, but we’ll keep you updated as he grapples with these strange symptoms.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)