Mar 9, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Maybe this is an overly optimistic viewpoint, but it seems like everyone stumbles upon horrible (but secretly satisfying) puns in their own ways.
When I heard that Erik Condra‘s two goals powered the Ottawa Senators past the New Jersey Devils last night, my first instinct was to make “Contra” jokes. (Somehow I didn’t make some reference to a “spread gun” of goals, though. For that, I apologize. My biggest question is if anyone’s used “Walking Condradiction” though …)
Yet the punmasters at NHL.com made their own adventure with the little-known forward’s last name, opting for an “Anaconda/AnaCondra” pun. To be honest, I didn’t see that pun-based passing lane, but they did. So I tip my cap to them, while you can tip your caps to Condra, who produced the March 8th Goal of the Night.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)