Mar 9, 2011, 5:02 PM EST
While hockey fans debate the merits of the league’s decision not to fine or suspend Zdeno Chara for his unfortunate hit on Max Pacioretty, Montreal Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier chose not to react.
Well, not publicly, at least.
Chara’s hit left Pacioretty with a severe concussion and a broken vertebra, yet the hulking Boston Bruins defenseman will go on with his NHL life without even a slap on the wrist. So what did Gauthier have to say regarding Mike Murphy’s verdict that it was “just a hockey play?” Nothing more than this terse statement which can be found on Twitter, one that sort of echoes Stan Van Gundy’s “I can’t have an opinion” press conference without the heavy does of sarcasm.
“The NHL took its decision and it’s not for us to express our opinion publicly” – Pierre Gauthier, Canadiens GM
So, again, Gauthier said nothing. Fortunately, plenty of other people have commented on the situation. Click here for your chance to vote on the validity of the league’s decision, check out Joe’s post for some insight on the NHL’s awkward situation and read this article for early reactions from Montreal Canadiens players.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 70
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)