Mar 9, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
While hockey fans debate the merits of the league’s decision not to fine or suspend Zdeno Chara for his unfortunate hit on Max Pacioretty, Montreal Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier chose not to react.
Well, not publicly, at least.
Chara’s hit left Pacioretty with a severe concussion and a broken vertebra, yet the hulking Boston Bruins defenseman will go on with his NHL life without even a slap on the wrist. So what did Gauthier have to say regarding Mike Murphy’s verdict that it was “just a hockey play?” Nothing more than this terse statement which can be found on Twitter, one that sort of echoes Stan Van Gundy’s “I can’t have an opinion” press conference without the heavy does of sarcasm.
“The NHL took its decision and it’s not for us to express our opinion publicly” – Pierre Gauthier, Canadiens GM
So, again, Gauthier said nothing. Fortunately, plenty of other people have commented on the situation. Click here for your chance to vote on the validity of the league’s decision, check out Joe’s post for some insight on the NHL’s awkward situation and read this article for early reactions from Montreal Canadiens players.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39