Mar 9, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
While hockey fans debate the merits of the league’s decision not to fine or suspend Zdeno Chara for his unfortunate hit on Max Pacioretty, Montreal Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier chose not to react.
Well, not publicly, at least.
Chara’s hit left Pacioretty with a severe concussion and a broken vertebra, yet the hulking Boston Bruins defenseman will go on with his NHL life without even a slap on the wrist. So what did Gauthier have to say regarding Mike Murphy’s verdict that it was “just a hockey play?” Nothing more than this terse statement which can be found on Twitter, one that sort of echoes Stan Van Gundy’s “I can’t have an opinion” press conference without the heavy does of sarcasm.
“The NHL took its decision and it’s not for us to express our opinion publicly” – Pierre Gauthier, Canadiens GM
So, again, Gauthier said nothing. Fortunately, plenty of other people have commented on the situation. Click here for your chance to vote on the validity of the league’s decision, check out Joe’s post for some insight on the NHL’s awkward situation and read this article for early reactions from Montreal Canadiens players.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)