Mar 9, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
While hockey fans debate the merits of the league’s decision not to fine or suspend Zdeno Chara for his unfortunate hit on Max Pacioretty, Montreal Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier chose not to react.
Well, not publicly, at least.
Chara’s hit left Pacioretty with a severe concussion and a broken vertebra, yet the hulking Boston Bruins defenseman will go on with his NHL life without even a slap on the wrist. So what did Gauthier have to say regarding Mike Murphy’s verdict that it was “just a hockey play?” Nothing more than this terse statement which can be found on Twitter, one that sort of echoes Stan Van Gundy’s “I can’t have an opinion” press conference without the heavy does of sarcasm.
“The NHL took its decision and it’s not for us to express our opinion publicly” – Pierre Gauthier, Canadiens GM
So, again, Gauthier said nothing. Fortunately, plenty of other people have commented on the situation. Click here for your chance to vote on the validity of the league’s decision, check out Joe’s post for some insight on the NHL’s awkward situation and read this article for early reactions from Montreal Canadiens players.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39