Mar 9, 2011, 5:38 PM EDT
As tough as it might be to do so, it’s time to at least attempt to move on from the craziness involving Zdeno Chara and Max Pacioretty and focus on today’s seven games. Start times are according to Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Atlanta @ Carolina
With a few more losses, the Thrashers can focus solely on their ownership situation and the pursuit of tanking in order to acquire another building block in the draft. Then again, beating their bubble brothers in Carolina would be a nice way of keeping their flimsy playoff dreams alive. Technically, they’re still ahead of the Devils, so they’re not totally done. Right? Maybe? Meanwhile, the Hurricanes trail the eighth place Sabres by one point and one win, so they could jump back into the top eight (at least briefly) by beating the Thrashers.
St. Louis @ Columbus
While the Blues are playing the spoiler role in this home-and-home series against the Blue Jackets, Columbus needs to play like a desperate team in this game. You know, because they are desperate. With five losses in a row, the Blue Jackets are fading out of the Western Conference playoff picture. They need a win tonight.
Edmonton @ Washington
Will this be a “trap game” for the emboldened new leaders of the Southeast Division? The Capitals must not take the Oilers lightly or they’ll lose a precious opportunity to expand their two-point lead over the Lightning for the division title. Washington might point back to this game with regret if they don’t snare a victory.
Chicago @ Tampa Bay
Call this game the “What a difference a superstar draft pick makes” contest. On one side, there’s Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane for the Blackhawks. In the opposing corner, there’s Steven Stamkos and Vincent Lecavalier. Unfortunately, Martin St. Louis will ruin the gag by revealing his Hart Trophy winning, undrafted self. He’s a real scamp in that way.
Los Angeles @ Detroit
The last time these two teams played, the Red Wings ruined the Kings’ post-trade deadline buzz by dismantling them 7-4. While you cannot say that actually having Dustin Penner in a Kings uniform would have made a difference, he will suit up for Los Angeles against the Red Wings tonight. The Kings have a loose grasp on eighth place while Detroit has the added motivation of holding off the San Jose Sharks to maintain their grasp on the West’s second seed.
Calgary @ Dallas
Barring a setback in warm-ups or from the snack bar, it sounds like Brad Richards will make his first post-trade deadline appearance with the Stars tonight. The team lost their first four games without him before putting up a 5-0-1 mark in their last six, but either way they’ll be glad to have him back. He’ll need to hit the ground running, though, because the two teams are currently in fourth and fifth place in the West. Could this be a preview for a first round playoff series?
NY Rangers @ Anaheim
The Rangers are hoping they don’t sink out of the Eastern Conference’s top eight while the Ducks are crossing their fingers that they might be able to slip back into the West’s playoff picture. These two teams don’t meet often, but each side needs a win badly, so expect at least a decent amount of intensity in this one.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)