Mar 8, 2011, 2:04 AM EST
For a recap of the Capitals’ big shootout win against the Lightning, click here. Let’s take a look at Monday’s other two games.
Ben Bishop steered the Blues to victory, only allowing one goal on 20 shots after relieving Ty Conklin (who was pulled after allowing three goals on only eight shots). It was a wild first period with six goals scored, as the Blue Jackets built a 3-1 lead only to have it end 3-3 at the end of the opening frame.
Andy McDonald scored two goals and one goal in the shootout while Patrik Berglund had a goal and an assist for St. Louis and Rick Nash provided two assists plus a shootout goal in a losing effort for Columbus.
The real stars of the game might have been Red Berenson, Garry Unger, Joe Mullen and Keith Tkachuk, as those players were honored for being greats who wore No. 7 during their days in St. Louis.
After looking like they might fade out of the playoffs without Brad Richards, the Stars are showing their resilience in winning five of their last six games (often in dramatic fashion).
This was one of those dramatic games, as Jamie Benn once again came up big (maybe he’s a better option than James Neal after all?) by scoring the tying goal. Brenden Morrow came up with the game winner 38 seconds into overtime.
The Stars are in fifth place with 79 points (their two games in hand over sixth place the Flames) while the Kings are stuck in eighth with 77.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (126)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)