Mar 8, 2011, 2:04 AM EST
For a recap of the Capitals’ big shootout win against the Lightning, click here. Let’s take a look at Monday’s other two games.
Ben Bishop steered the Blues to victory, only allowing one goal on 20 shots after relieving Ty Conklin (who was pulled after allowing three goals on only eight shots). It was a wild first period with six goals scored, as the Blue Jackets built a 3-1 lead only to have it end 3-3 at the end of the opening frame.
Andy McDonald scored two goals and one goal in the shootout while Patrik Berglund had a goal and an assist for St. Louis and Rick Nash provided two assists plus a shootout goal in a losing effort for Columbus.
The real stars of the game might have been Red Berenson, Garry Unger, Joe Mullen and Keith Tkachuk, as those players were honored for being greats who wore No. 7 during their days in St. Louis.
After looking like they might fade out of the playoffs without Brad Richards, the Stars are showing their resilience in winning five of their last six games (often in dramatic fashion).
This was one of those dramatic games, as Jamie Benn once again came up big (maybe he’s a better option than James Neal after all?) by scoring the tying goal. Brenden Morrow came up with the game winner 38 seconds into overtime.
The Stars are in fifth place with 79 points (their two games in hand over sixth place the Flames) while the Kings are stuck in eighth with 77.
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)