Mar 8, 2011, 9:39 PM EDT
Whether it was an accident or not, Zdeno Chara delivered a brutal hit on Max Pacioretty tonight, leaving the Montreal Canadiens forward immobile. Chara checked Pacioretty at the worst possible time, as Pacioretty’s head hit into a part of the boards that separates the two teams’ benches.
He didn’t appear to move after the hit and was taken off the ice on a stretcher, leaving the Montreal crowd to express their anger toward Chara. He was at least able to move his limbs while being taking to an ambulance, according to Francois Gagnon.
It’s hard to look at this moment in a vacuum, as the two teams obviously have a serious distaste for each other. Along with the Bruins’ fight-filled win in their previous bout, one might also recall Chara’s furious reaction after Pacioretty scored an overtime winner against the Bruins earlier this season.
That’s not to say that Chara delivered the hit in an unusually malicious way, but he could very well face a hefty suspension because of this moment. The possibility of a suspension will obviously increase if Pacioretty’s injury is as severe, which wouldn’t be a shock considering the violent collision.
We’ll keep you updated on Pacioretty’s condition, as it looked like the latest in a disturbing line of ugly hits from the last two seasons.
Update: Here’s video of the play. Yes, it’s as ugly as it seems.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)