Mar 8, 2011, 3:54 PM EST
Sbisa is an up and comer in the Ducks system and has tightened his game up to be more of a physical, defensive force. The former first round pick of the Flyers was acquired in the deal that sent Chris Pronger to Philadelphia and at 21 years-old figures to stick around with the Ducks for a while and grow up alongside Cam Fowler.
This season, Sbisa’s first full one in the NHL, he has two goals and six assists with a -6 plus/minus rating over 52 games. With the additions the Ducks have made to their blue line over the course of the season, Sbisa’s minutes have picked up in recent games showing that coach Randy Carlyle’s confidence in the youngster is growing. Giving Sbisa a contract that has a $2.175 million cap hit for the next four years shows that Bob Murray believes in his skills as well.
The side effect of this deal is the effect it’ll have on other young defensemen whose entry level contracts are due to expire. We’re looking at you Karl Alzner in Washington. Alzner’s game has a bit more skill to it but the numbers are similar. We won’t even go into what John Carlson might be able to ask from Washington after next season when his entry level deal comes to an end.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)