Mar 8, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
Sbisa is an up and comer in the Ducks system and has tightened his game up to be more of a physical, defensive force. The former first round pick of the Flyers was acquired in the deal that sent Chris Pronger to Philadelphia and at 21 years-old figures to stick around with the Ducks for a while and grow up alongside Cam Fowler.
This season, Sbisa’s first full one in the NHL, he has two goals and six assists with a -6 plus/minus rating over 52 games. With the additions the Ducks have made to their blue line over the course of the season, Sbisa’s minutes have picked up in recent games showing that coach Randy Carlyle’s confidence in the youngster is growing. Giving Sbisa a contract that has a $2.175 million cap hit for the next four years shows that Bob Murray believes in his skills as well.
The side effect of this deal is the effect it’ll have on other young defensemen whose entry level contracts are due to expire. We’re looking at you Karl Alzner in Washington. Alzner’s game has a bit more skill to it but the numbers are similar. We won’t even go into what John Carlson might be able to ask from Washington after next season when his entry level deal comes to an end.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks