Mar 8, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
Sbisa is an up and comer in the Ducks system and has tightened his game up to be more of a physical, defensive force. The former first round pick of the Flyers was acquired in the deal that sent Chris Pronger to Philadelphia and at 21 years-old figures to stick around with the Ducks for a while and grow up alongside Cam Fowler.
This season, Sbisa’s first full one in the NHL, he has two goals and six assists with a -6 plus/minus rating over 52 games. With the additions the Ducks have made to their blue line over the course of the season, Sbisa’s minutes have picked up in recent games showing that coach Randy Carlyle’s confidence in the youngster is growing. Giving Sbisa a contract that has a $2.175 million cap hit for the next four years shows that Bob Murray believes in his skills as well.
The side effect of this deal is the effect it’ll have on other young defensemen whose entry level contracts are due to expire. We’re looking at you Karl Alzner in Washington. Alzner’s game has a bit more skill to it but the numbers are similar. We won’t even go into what John Carlson might be able to ask from Washington after next season when his entry level deal comes to an end.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)