Mar 8, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
Sbisa is an up and comer in the Ducks system and has tightened his game up to be more of a physical, defensive force. The former first round pick of the Flyers was acquired in the deal that sent Chris Pronger to Philadelphia and at 21 years-old figures to stick around with the Ducks for a while and grow up alongside Cam Fowler.
This season, Sbisa’s first full one in the NHL, he has two goals and six assists with a -6 plus/minus rating over 52 games. With the additions the Ducks have made to their blue line over the course of the season, Sbisa’s minutes have picked up in recent games showing that coach Randy Carlyle’s confidence in the youngster is growing. Giving Sbisa a contract that has a $2.175 million cap hit for the next four years shows that Bob Murray believes in his skills as well.
The side effect of this deal is the effect it’ll have on other young defensemen whose entry level contracts are due to expire. We’re looking at you Karl Alzner in Washington. Alzner’s game has a bit more skill to it but the numbers are similar. We won’t even go into what John Carlson might be able to ask from Washington after next season when his entry level deal comes to an end.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 17
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 71
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 94
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)