Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
It’s a cliche, but sometimes it really does ring true: when it rains, it pours. The Ottawa Senators have dealt with a steady stream of problems this season, including a previous injury to star Jason Spezza and a current (possibly season-ending) injury for captain Daniel Alfredsson.
The hits keep coming, as the Senators look to play without three starting players, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Here is a rundown of the latest injuries, some of which will force these players to undergo surgeries.
- Mercurial winger Milan Michalek will miss approximately one month with a broken foot. The injury came in one of the worst ways possible: from a teammate, as Spezza’s shot caused the ailment two weeks ago.
- Center Peter Regin dislocated his shoulder, an injury that will force him to have surgery. Going under the knife will force him out four to six months, so obviously he won’t appear in another game this season.
- Finally, fighting defenseman Matt Carkner will miss about four weeks, needing surgery on his knee. Carkner reportedly tried to play on the injured knee, but ultimately will opt for surgery.
It’s just been a long season for the Sens, but if nothing else, losing starters might give younger players a chance to play at the NHL level. There’s also the somewhat unpleasant blessing in disguise that losing more will allow them a better chance at a higher draft pick.
Chin up, Ottawa fans; there’s only about a month left in the 2010-11 regular season.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 24
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 21
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 26
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)