Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
It’s a cliche, but sometimes it really does ring true: when it rains, it pours. The Ottawa Senators have dealt with a steady stream of problems this season, including a previous injury to star Jason Spezza and a current (possibly season-ending) injury for captain Daniel Alfredsson.
The hits keep coming, as the Senators look to play without three starting players, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Here is a rundown of the latest injuries, some of which will force these players to undergo surgeries.
- Mercurial winger Milan Michalek will miss approximately one month with a broken foot. The injury came in one of the worst ways possible: from a teammate, as Spezza’s shot caused the ailment two weeks ago.
- Center Peter Regin dislocated his shoulder, an injury that will force him to have surgery. Going under the knife will force him out four to six months, so obviously he won’t appear in another game this season.
- Finally, fighting defenseman Matt Carkner will miss about four weeks, needing surgery on his knee. Carkner reportedly tried to play on the injured knee, but ultimately will opt for surgery.
It’s just been a long season for the Sens, but if nothing else, losing starters might give younger players a chance to play at the NHL level. There’s also the somewhat unpleasant blessing in disguise that losing more will allow them a better chance at a higher draft pick.
Chin up, Ottawa fans; there’s only about a month left in the 2010-11 regular season.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)