Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
It’s a cliche, but sometimes it really does ring true: when it rains, it pours. The Ottawa Senators have dealt with a steady stream of problems this season, including a previous injury to star Jason Spezza and a current (possibly season-ending) injury for captain Daniel Alfredsson.
The hits keep coming, as the Senators look to play without three starting players, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Here is a rundown of the latest injuries, some of which will force these players to undergo surgeries.
- Mercurial winger Milan Michalek will miss approximately one month with a broken foot. The injury came in one of the worst ways possible: from a teammate, as Spezza’s shot caused the ailment two weeks ago.
- Center Peter Regin dislocated his shoulder, an injury that will force him to have surgery. Going under the knife will force him out four to six months, so obviously he won’t appear in another game this season.
- Finally, fighting defenseman Matt Carkner will miss about four weeks, needing surgery on his knee. Carkner reportedly tried to play on the injured knee, but ultimately will opt for surgery.
It’s just been a long season for the Sens, but if nothing else, losing starters might give younger players a chance to play at the NHL level. There’s also the somewhat unpleasant blessing in disguise that losing more will allow them a better chance at a higher draft pick.
Chin up, Ottawa fans; there’s only about a month left in the 2010-11 regular season.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)