Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 PM EST
It’s a cliche, but sometimes it really does ring true: when it rains, it pours. The Ottawa Senators have dealt with a steady stream of problems this season, including a previous injury to star Jason Spezza and a current (possibly season-ending) injury for captain Daniel Alfredsson.
The hits keep coming, as the Senators look to play without three starting players, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Here is a rundown of the latest injuries, some of which will force these players to undergo surgeries.
- Mercurial winger Milan Michalek will miss approximately one month with a broken foot. The injury came in one of the worst ways possible: from a teammate, as Spezza’s shot caused the ailment two weeks ago.
- Center Peter Regin dislocated his shoulder, an injury that will force him to have surgery. Going under the knife will force him out four to six months, so obviously he won’t appear in another game this season.
- Finally, fighting defenseman Matt Carkner will miss about four weeks, needing surgery on his knee. Carkner reportedly tried to play on the injured knee, but ultimately will opt for surgery.
It’s just been a long season for the Sens, but if nothing else, losing starters might give younger players a chance to play at the NHL level. There’s also the somewhat unpleasant blessing in disguise that losing more will allow them a better chance at a higher draft pick.
Chin up, Ottawa fans; there’s only about a month left in the 2010-11 regular season.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 32
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)