Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 PM EDT
It’s a cliche, but sometimes it really does ring true: when it rains, it pours. The Ottawa Senators have dealt with a steady stream of problems this season, including a previous injury to star Jason Spezza and a current (possibly season-ending) injury for captain Daniel Alfredsson.
The hits keep coming, as the Senators look to play without three starting players, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. Here is a rundown of the latest injuries, some of which will force these players to undergo surgeries.
- Mercurial winger Milan Michalek will miss approximately one month with a broken foot. The injury came in one of the worst ways possible: from a teammate, as Spezza’s shot caused the ailment two weeks ago.
- Center Peter Regin dislocated his shoulder, an injury that will force him to have surgery. Going under the knife will force him out four to six months, so obviously he won’t appear in another game this season.
- Finally, fighting defenseman Matt Carkner will miss about four weeks, needing surgery on his knee. Carkner reportedly tried to play on the injured knee, but ultimately will opt for surgery.
It’s just been a long season for the Sens, but if nothing else, losing starters might give younger players a chance to play at the NHL level. There’s also the somewhat unpleasant blessing in disguise that losing more will allow them a better chance at a higher draft pick.
Chin up, Ottawa fans; there’s only about a month left in the 2010-11 regular season.
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 9
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 14
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 121
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (121)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)