Mar 7, 2011, 1:00 AM EST
Calgary captain and superstar Jarome Iginla helped make history today. No, it wasn’t by helping the Flames beat Nashville 3-2, instead it was something more personal. By scoring on a penalty shot goal in the second period, Iginla reached the 30 goal mark for the 10th straight season, something only nine other players in NHL history have done.
Iginla joins the exclusive club with Wayne Gretzky, Darryl Sittler, Jaromir Jagr, Phil Esposito, Brett Hull, Marcel Dionne, Mike Bossy, Mike Gartner, and Jari Kurri of other players that have scored 30 or more goals in 10 or more straight seasons. With that kind of elite and hall of fame company, Iginla cements his spot in history as one of the NHL’s all-time great goal scorers.
The scary part of this is that Iginla could make a run at the record of 15 straight seasons of 30 or more held by Gartner and Jagr. Thinking back to the two seasons before Iginla started this run where he had 28 and 29 goals respectively makes you wonder just how much closer Iginla could be to making a run at that record. That’s not to say he can’t do it, but getting this level of consistent play in this era is incredible.
Iginla’s goal tied the game up with Nashville and it would be Curtis Glencross who put Calgary ahead in the third with his goal midway through the period. Miikka Kiprusoff would make it stand up through the rest of the game on his way to making 21 saves in the win. Predators goalie Pekka Rinne stopped 33 shots in the loss. Martin Erat and Ryan Suter had goals for Nashville. Mark Giordano also scored for the Flames.
Calgary jumps to fifth in the West with the win while the Predators fall into a 10th place tie with Anaheim. Fear not Predators fans, ground can be made up fast with wins. Of course, failing to win keeps you buried and the Predators have now lost six of their last eight.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11